Vivendi Rumored to Sell Activision-Blizzard Stake

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hmmmm I find this exceedingly weird, how does a company sit at $67.06 in 2007 and have only financial blockbusters and a consistent player base in world of warcraft reaching past the 10mill mark during this time frame go all the way down to $12?? Call of duty breaking its own records with each release just about. I mean I get the whole companies value not necessarily reflected accurately on the stock price, much like facebook dropped a solid 15$ or more from when it started at $15. But, Idk, Blizzard OR Activision haven't really messed up at all the last 5 years, no major IP flop or anything. Strange that no one would buy it.

G

At no point that I'm aware of was Activision Blizzard stock ever anywhere near $67.06. Maybe I'm missing something.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Someone at Vivendi played Diablo 3, and realized that there are no limits to what Robert Kotick's influence can destroy.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Lol... These companies disgust me seriously? Why do they care about share hold? Its retarded! If you are making money then why the hell do you need share hold for!?!? I am sick and tired of corporation mentality. They are worthless for normal living.

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Looking at their company history on Yahoo Finance, it looks like the high for 2007 was $17.99. Where are you coming up with $67.06 Catherine?

PS: Tom's really needs to stop deleting typed comments when you are required to log in after typing your comment.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]Hmmmm I find this exceedingly weird, how does a company sit at $67.06 in 2007 and have only financial blockbusters and a consistent player base in world of warcraft reaching past the 10mill mark during this time frame go all the way down to $12?? Call of duty breaking its own records with each release just about. I mean I get the whole companies value not necessarily reflected accurately on the stock price, much like facebook dropped a solid 15$ or more from when it started at $15. But, Idk, Blizzard OR Activision haven't really messed up at all the last 5 years, no major IP flop or anything. Strange that no one would buy it.[/citation]

guitar hero.
they ran that seriese into the ground.
people don't take into account the good, they just look at the bad.

they probably lost allot of money with that last version or 2 of the game.

and you also have to take into account cod dlc, which when told by them, is their most profitable stuff.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]Hmmmm I find this exceedingly weird, how does a company sit at $67.06 in 2007 and have only financial blockbusters and a consistent player base in world of warcraft reaching past the 10mill mark during this time frame go all the way down to $12?? Call of duty breaking its own records with each release just about. I mean I get the whole companies value not necessarily reflected accurately on the stock price, much like facebook dropped a solid 15$ or more from when it started at $15. But, Idk, Blizzard OR Activision haven't really messed up at all the last 5 years, no major IP flop or anything. Strange that no one would buy it.[/citation]
What do you mean really hasn't messed up? Yes, they have had success with Call of Duty, but look at the mess Bobby Kotick put them in over the acquisition of CoD. He got them in a major lawsuit because he blatantly violated the contract with Infinity Ward when Activision Blizzard acquired them. He also completely ran Guitar Hero from a super successful game series to a non existant one. Blizzard may have had a great name, but the moment Kotick got in as CEO of Activision Blizzard once Vivendi bought Activision from him, he ruined it.

WoW had more subscribers when the merger happened in 2008 than they do today. Look at how many of the Diablo 3 "sales" were in fact give aways to keep WoW from bleeding subscribers with the Annual Pass.

Go here http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252 and read that link about how bad Kotick is for gaming. That poster did a lot of research and has the links to back up all the Kotick quotes and other interviews.

Of course I am not going to feel sorry for Vivendi, Kotick had a bad reputation long before Vivendi bought Activision from him and should have known what they were in for by getting into business with him and letting him run their games division.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Did the stock split at all? I would also like an explanation to the apparent 82% decline in the prices that are listed here. I don't doubt that there was a decline, but I doubt that the decline is as dramatic as the article implies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Bobby Kotick is a parasite. Blizzard should split and get that leech off of them.[/citation]
Blizzard can't just split. When Vivendi bought Acitvision and merged Activision with Blizzard, yes, they kept Blizzard as a sperate company but made them a wholy owned subsidiary of Acitivision Blizzard. That means Blizzard is owned by Acitivision Blizzard.

The only way they can get out from under Bobby Kotick is if Vivendi moves Blizzard out from under the Activision Blizzard corporate structure or sells the pieces of Acitivision Blizzard seperately, maybe even keeping Blizzard while selling off the rest. But if none of that happens then it's stay and do what he wants or they can all leave and form another company, but it won't have the Blizzard name and they can't make any of the Blizzard products.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Activision-Blizzard’s stock price was sitting at an incredible $67.06 per share. Now, it hovers around at a still-respectable, but considerably lower price of approximately $11.99 per share.

Where do you get your facts from? Tom's Hardware needs to hire some writers who can actually do their homework.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]tgsa[/nom]Looking at their company history on Yahoo Finance, it looks like the high for 2007 was $17.99. Where are you coming up with $67.06 Catherine?PS: Tom's really needs to stop deleting typed comments when you are required to log in after typing your comment.[/citation]

It's been fixed, thank you!

Please let me know if you see any other factual errors, that was absolutely my mistake.

- Catherine Cai

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
its been a while since the last GH flop. I really dont see how Activision-Blizzard ISNT profitable. CoD and Diablo are some of the best selling games ever. Im not really a fan of Activision-Blizzard, but you cant deny that theyre games sell extremely well. I cant see the logic in selling one of the biggest companies of the ever increasing profitable area that is gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.