Volkswagen Still Recommends Internet Explorer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Most companies like the article stated, have built their internal sites with IE6 in mind. Will they migrate over to the newer standard? Over time they will.

This article is too much " look at that..." really should not be a new article... also exposes VW and other companies to attacks

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I will not pay any attention to what VW says is the best.
I had a 2001 GTI 1.8T that I owned for 1 year. It spent almost an entire months worth of days in the shop. My roomate had a 2002 Jetta 1.8T that was almost as bad.
VW = JUNK.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Upgrading a large Web app from IE 6 to IE 8 can be expensive. I've done this sort of thing and it was more work than we expected. Maybe VW weighed the cost and the benefits and decided to stick with IE6.

Besides, IE 6 will not die any time soon. Some corporations still make their employees use it because (a) their own internal apps work well with it and (b) IE 6 is less useful for Facebook and Twitter and other activities you don't want your employees doing at work

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
You can't blame VW for this, remember microsoft hoped that they could use their dominance in the corporate sector to force their web-vision on to us all. Thankfully that failed, but that's not VW's fault

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
With IE 6 out for quite some time and the latest is IE 9, you would think they have plenty of time to at least have their site be compatible with IE 7?!

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
VW is in the same category as the rest of the overpriced, under performing junk. ie Apple, Dyson, VW. There are more but can't remember atm. People are brand loyal, but buy more into the hype than performance or practicality.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Upgrading a large Web app from IE 6 to IE 8 can be expensive. I've done this sort of thing and it was more work than we expected. Maybe VW weighed the cost and the benefits and decided to stick with IE6.Besides, IE 6 will not die any time soon. Some corporations still make their employees use it because (a) their own internal apps work well with it and (b) IE 6 is less useful for Facebook and Twitter and other activities you don't want your employees doing at work[/citation]
They are probably just not done upgrading all their apps yet. Here, we just finished our 2 years project of upgrading to IE8 and now the work is starting again for IE 10.

G

my 2003 Golf GTi 1.8t is still a rock solid daily driver that goes great and gets excellent gas mileage...

The fact that anyone is at all surprised that the corporate world is mostly still on IE6 only tells me that they have never worked in a large corporate environment. A change to the browser BREAKS many many internal applications. It is in short, a BAD thing to go through a browser update.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe they just forgot to update their statement?

We have old messages laying around "best viewed at 1024x768", etc...it happens.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]krowbar[/nom]VW is in the same category as the rest of the overpriced, under performing junk. ie Apple, Dyson, VW. There are more but can't remember atm. People are brand loyal, but buy more into the hype than performance or practicality.[/citation]

My dyson animal and Vw JettaVR6 beg to differ. Both have served me proudly and reliably for years!

G

VW has also retained 20+ year engine technology in current cars...Time to move on VW!

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]krowbar[/nom]VW is in the same category as the rest of the overpriced, under performing junk. ie Apple, Dyson, VW. There are more but can't remember atm. People are brand loyal, but buy more into the hype than performance or practicality.[/citation]
Passat: MSRP starts from $19,995, user review rating (last year) 8.9
Camry: MSRP starts from $20,195, user review rating (last year) 8.0
source: msn auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.