VOTW: Man Makes ''Death Ray'' with Satellite Dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
5,000 times hotter than the sun? I highly doubt that. Look how "small" that thing is. Lol at the dude not wearing gloves. Also, it doesn't even look like you could fit 5,800 mirror tiles on there..

opihiod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Mount this thing on a few cruisers with a few modifications to angle the beam and somehow project the beam over a few miles and we'll pretty much own one half of a day

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
"Unfortunately, the dish died a horrible death in a shed fire."

Hint: When placing your Death Ray in storage, aim the shiny side away from your shed.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I wonder if this is the reason Dr evil took so long to put laserbeams on his sharks, it just wasn't small enough and needed sunlight!

Oh and I would wear a welding shield so I don't go blind

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
the sun is 15 million Celsius, est., if that thing could put out the same temp as the sun, there would be no video of stuff cooking, it would literally burn it all into ash the moment it touched, heck would prob even catch fire before it touched the beam.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
yeah by reflecting an infinitesimal amount of sunlight, after it's traveled 91million miles and then through our atmosphere, he's absolutely able to produce a heat 5,000 times > the source of the radation he's reflecting... what a douche.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]daweinah[/nom]Someone needs to forward this to Mythbusters! They tried making one and failed.[/citation]
Then again, they didn't have nearly as many mirrors, and focused to the precision of a satellite dish. These dishes are designed to bounce a satellite signal to a small receiver in front of the dish. Replace this signal with light, and voila.

It's ingenious.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]daweinah[/nom]Someone needs to forward this to Mythbusters! They tried making one and failed.[/citation]
The succeeded on small scale, but failed on the full scale.

I cant even imagine how difficult it would be to create a large scale array that could have a focal point 50-100 yards out (if even possible).

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Anyone heard of hyperbole ? if not, look it up

Even if it is not actually 5000x the suns heat, it can still burn concrete, which is pretty neat

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]haxs101[/nom]5,000 times hotter than the sun? I highly doubt that. Look how "small" that thing is. Lol at the dude not wearing gloves. Also, it doesn't even look like you could fit 5,800 mirror tiles on there..[/citation]

He must mean 5000 times hotter than the sun's radiant temperature on earth. Obviously reflecting the sun's own light isn't going to make it hotter.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i love how all of you people shoot him down saying it is not this or not that.... but in any case the loudest A-holes out there are the ones who wouldnt or CANT do it for themselves (no matter how stupid or silly the project may seem). so until you make some attempt at doing anything, shut yer yap. its stupid projects like this that have led many a man to greatness.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
It'll be 5000 times more powerful than the single suns influence on a target, not hotter than 5000 suns. The suns actually nearly 16million degrees centigrade at the hottest point or corona.
Plus the damage is not caused by the visable light you can see with the nornal eye, all the energy is in the ultra violet or UV range, the same energy which causes you too get sunburn or damages skincells causing cancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.