VPN PIA Cancellation Promise

neonphelps

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Appears their ad may be misleading. I cancelled within the 7 day period guarantee they offer in writing as their tech support did not provide and responses to my emails & speed tests with & without VPN enabled, wired and WiFi, to their servers and other's speed tests - were all very bad. ; and after many days of not getting any response to my emails & questions and cancellation requests - I finally get one response, it was regarding cancellation, which I quote (paste) here: (name of the responding PIA tech has been removed):
"When you cancel your subscription, all that is cancelled is the automatic renewal of the account. The account will remain active for the time you have already paid for (I paid for 1 year), and then terminate at the end of the 11 day grace period following the due date instead of renewing. As customers can choose this option and still continue our service without requiring a refund, funds would not be remitted automatically, only by request.
Best Regards,
xxxxxx agent's name xxx
Customer Support Agent
Private Internet Access™

Private Internet Access: We've Got Your Back"

My Comment: I do not know whose back they have but it isn't mine I am sure

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is similar to cancelling with Netflix and other services. Not uncommon to cancel the renewal and keep an account active until it expires. The company keeps your money for that period and you keep the service. Arguably, that is "fair" and equitable.

Given this response, it does seem that PIA will return your money (a portion) for immediate cancellation.

neonphelps

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
Since the ad states 7 days guarantee and I cancelled within the first 7 days or ordering it for the first time, it is likely my course of action will be to first give it a few more days to asses the charges on my card as the credit card company suggested, then if all charges are not credited back to me; take the word doc I created which shows all emails and their responses and screen shots of pertinent screens from the signing up process- file a complaint with the credit card company and go from there. It was my credit card companies "suggestion" (they were willing to do it now) that I wait a few more days before filing my complaint, so I shall... but thanks- I see no equitable or fairness based on what others might also do. I cancelled within the 1st 7 days of my original signup (not a renewal). Believe me when I tell you that this fight isn't over $35, it is over principal and hopefully winning for what is right... I have already spent far more than $35 in time and aggravation, and possibly have not even gotten started.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

So how much time and aggravation is it worth to you?

Dispute the charge on the credit card and go from there. Getting aggravated won't help.