VR question hardware

Michael saliveross

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
So i wonder why VR wants so high end pc hardware right now in my rig i have an rx 460 with an celeron in the future i will upgrade to ryzen or fx depends on my money but when i run steam vr perfomance test for fun i've seen good results like the game was so smooth even my phone runs vr game's i mean my rx 460 is like 100x faster than my phone that runs vr but i think if i got ryzen or fx-8350 i think it will run vr because i've seen a video with a man playing vr in rx 460 what to do you think ?

Solution
The way the SteamVR benchmark works is it's constantly measuring performance and changing the graphics quality to keep a smooth framerate. That's also the way Valve wants VR developers to make their games run smoothly.

The score at the end shows you the average quality setting it was able to achieve.

Phones can run VR, but only with extremely simplified graphics. They're also running at 60FPS rather than 90FPS, which is easier for the hardware but more likely to make people nauseous.

VR games can be made to run well on an RX 460. But it requires very simplistic graphics, and isn't a good experience. So most games are designed to require more powerful hardware.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The way the SteamVR benchmark works is it's constantly measuring performance and changing the graphics quality to keep a smooth framerate. That's also the way Valve wants VR developers to make their games run smoothly.

The score at the end shows you the average quality setting it was able to achieve.

Phones can run VR, but only with extremely simplified graphics. They're also running at 60FPS rather than 90FPS, which is easier for the hardware but more likely to make people nauseous.

VR games can be made to run well on an RX 460. But it requires very simplistic graphics, and isn't a good experience. So most games are designed to require more powerful hardware.

Solution