VW's Super Bowl Ad Features Mini Darth Vader

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
According to consumer reports volkswagon is the most unreliable brand in the world. 85% needed MAJOR repairs in the first 5 years. Compare that the the most reliable (Toyota) which only had 5% in the same catagory.

My cousin sold her VW bug and I said "Let me guess, it kept breaking down." She said "Oh My G*d, how did you know that!?" Then I told her about how volkwagons in general are unreliable.

Word to the wise folks, DON'T EVER BUY VOLKSWAGON! I know an idiot that bought a little VW golf for like $18,000. Even though he had just bought it he already had to take it in for warranty service 3 times. I bought a Honda for less than half that price and instead of new it already had 50,000 on it. Today it has over 100,000 on it. It's completely paid off and all I've ever had to do is change the oil and fill it up.

[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Vader isn't going to help them break out of the teani-bopper 18-25 women category which buy them because they are "cute". VW is like the MAC of the computer world.[/citation]
LOL, YES! Thank you!
Women (in that age range) (for some odd reason) think it's cool or cute to buy a VW. I can't look at a VW owner with out thinking, man, he/she is stupid and is completely clueless on why they shouldn't have bought that POS.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Decent commercial, but VW has always had decent marketing. They just need to put more effort into their quality control and focus less on making shiny advertisements.

G

maybe if you get the german made ones instead of the mexico made ones they won't break down so quick, or maybe the group driving them does so in the most terrible way, which causes cars to break down faster. Most of these women that you say buy jettas and such drive them like shit, such as flying over speedbumps, never avoiding potholes or any other bumpy parts of the road, slamming on the gas and then smashing the breaks at every single green and red light, and driving the car like its a drag race when it hasn't properly warmed up.

Generally people who drive economy cars like toyotas and hondas do so with more care, now they tend to be built better too, but the driver has just as much to do with the lifetime the car has as the quality of the build.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]According to consumer reports volkswagon is the most unreliable brand in the world. 85% needed MAJOR repairs in the first 5 years. Compare that the the most reliable (Toyota) which only had 5% in the same catagory.My cousin sold her VW bug and I said "Let me guess, it kept breaking down." She said "Oh My G*d, how did you know that!?" Then I told her about how volkwagons in general are unreliable.Word to the wise folks, DON'T EVER BUY VOLKSWAGON! I know an idiot that bought a little VW golf for like $18,000. Even though he had just bought it he already had to take it in for warranty service 3 times. I bought a Honda for less than half that price and instead of new it already had 50,000 on it. Today it has over 100,000 on it. It's completely paid off and all I've ever had to do is change the oil and fill it up.LOL, YES! Thank you!Women (in that age range) (for some odd reason) think it's cool or cute to buy a VW. I can't look at a VW owner with out thinking, man, he/she is stupid and is completely clueless on why they shouldn't have bought that POS.[/citation]
I bought my 2.0T Jetta brand new in '07 and haven't had to do anything to it other than the 10k mile services, it runs absolutely beautifully and rides far nicer than my coworkers '07 camry (and the interior is far nicer too). Furthermore, my aunt and uncle own a Passat TDI and a Beetle TDI and they've never had issues either. I never bought a VW because I thought it was "cool", as a ChemE and science nerd, nothing I do can ever be defined as "cool". I bought it because I liked the trim, I liked the features, I liked the ride, the 2.0T engine is just awesome and I like manual transmissions, which are much easier to come by on VW/Audis. I test drove both the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord when I was shopping and I didn't care for either of them.

However, I would never buy a VW made '05 or before, and '06 I would be leery of, they did significant changes to their electrical QA and manufacturing process (which was a BIG part of their reliability problems - relay 109 being one of the worst) and since then they have gotten much better. If you look at the consumer reports issues the line is pretty clear, the '05 and earlier tend to have a worrying amount of black circles whereas the '06 and later tend to be pretty decent. As an earlier poster mentioned, avoid the mexico made VWs, they tend to be the ones with issues, the German made ones are substantially better.

It’s cute and nerdy, but is it enough to make us want the 2012 Passat?

No, not when they have the CC. My next choice when I decide to get my next new car will probably be between the CC or maybe an Audi (depending on how badly I want the 4 wheel drive without having to go up to the 3.6L).

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I have a 2010 CC R-Line that I purchased new. I was skeptical about the quality and thought like many of the above posters about poor or questionable reliability. My wife is on her 3rd Jetta and she hasn't really had any trouble out of them.

Anywho, I love my CC. It rides great, I love the engine. I love the manual transmission, and I like the way it looks. I'll have to see how it holds up but so far so good.

I love the commercial too. Nice job VW. I hope my wife's and my experience so far is a mark of what we can look forward to.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]According to consumer reports volkswagon is the most unreliable brand in the world. 85% needed MAJOR repairs in the first 5 years. Compare that the the most reliable (Toyota) which only had 5% in the same catagory.My cousin sold her VW bug and I said "Let me guess, it kept breaking down." She said "Oh My G*d, how did you know that!?" Then I told her about how volkwagons in general are unreliable.Word to the wise folks, DON'T EVER BUY VOLKSWAGON! I know an idiot that bought a little VW golf for like $18,000. Even though he had just bought it he already had to take it in for warranty service 3 times. I bought a Honda for less than half that price and instead of new it already had 50,000 on it. Today it has over 100,000 on it. It's completely paid off and all I've ever had to do is change the oil and fill it up.LOL, YES! Thank you!Women (in that age range) (for some odd reason) think it's cool or cute to buy a VW. I can't look at a VW owner with out thinking, man, he/she is stupid and is completely clueless on why they shouldn't have bought that POS.[/citation]

Guess what my 40 year old VW Beetle is still running strong.Have I had to do repairs on it?
Yes, about 10 years ago I had to replace the Cylinders,Piston Head and Rings.It cost me $160 for those parts and just a couple hours of work.I've replaced the clutch a few times as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.