Wait for Haswell/700m or buy a laptop now?

BirdzThaWord

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hey everyone, I've been trying to buy a laptop for quite some time now and I'm finally close to deciding which one to buy. I've looked at tons of laptops and so far I've narrowed it down to the Sager NP9130 and the MSI GX60. I currently much prefer the Sager because it's not as silly looking and I have little faith in the A-10. My question before I purchase the Sager though, should I wait for haswell to come out and the gtx 700m series or should I just buy it now?

Side note: I'm going out of town for a few weeks next month and I'd prefer to have a laptop by then but it won't be too much of a problem to have it shipped to where I'll be staying.

Solution
If you can wait, I would. Even if you're not interested in Haswell or the GTX 700m series, the tech that's in your current Sager could (and should) see a drop in price.

Ethan Grier

Honorable
May 23, 2013
If you can wait, I would. Even if you're not interested in Haswell or the GTX 700m series, the tech that's in your current Sager could (and should) see a drop in price.

Solution

BirdzThaWord

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

That's what I was thinking. Do you have a guesstimate of what the price drop would be?

Ethan Grier

Honorable
May 23, 2013

That depends just what is announced at Computex in early June. I don't know how dramatic an improvement we'll see in GPUs, but I do know that suppliers will want to clear out their old stock to make way for the new. I'm in the same boat as you, actually. I was looking at an NP9130 too. Hopefully the cost goes down! I was overbudget and not even half way through my customizations.

BirdzThaWord

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

That would be very nice! Thank's for the input. :D