Walmart BF Laptop good deal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Walmart has a BF deal for $599.
HP Pavilion 15.6", Intel Core i5-8300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, 15-CX0056WM
Is this the best I can do at that price point?

Solution
That's pretty good for the price, when I was looking at similar laptops about a month ago and they were about $150 more. The only downside I see about it is that apparently (according to the Walmart page) it only supports a maximum of 8gb.
Nov 24, 2018
So after hearing that this laptop does and doesn't have a m.2 slot, I opened her up to look. This is honestly my first laptop so not fully sure what I'm looking at, but I took some pictures.

http://imgur.com/gallery/tRPnUsT

Looks to be the slot there to add in the SSD based on the second and third pictures. I'm not going crazy am I?

Nov 28, 2018
Can Confirm. Just installed an SSD on this laptop. My previous laptop broke beyond repair, so I got this one and I could use my old SSD on this machine. It feels miles faster after moving the OS to SSD

Nov 28, 2018
There are ways you can do it. You can either clone your existing disk to SSD. But I did not. I prefer to clean wipe and start fresh. I just installed my old SSD, made a backup on my external disk and used the media creation tool for windows 10. It can be downloaded from Microsoft website, google it. Then I deleted all the partitions and installed a fresh copy on the SSD. Voila!! the laptop feels super duper fast. Very smooth and boots up in no time. Good Luck

Nov 28, 2018

That's an m2 slot and the screw that can hold it in those pictures

Dec 4, 2018
@jjons1763 and @raviles99:
Can I ask what RAM you guys used to upgrade it to 16GB? I just ordered this laptop over the weekend and want to add in another 8GB stick but was concerned about it being matched with the included 8GB stick. The RAM adviser tools I've tried haven't had listings for this laptop yet.

Dec 21, 2018

There’s a slot for another stick of RAM. And a slot for a SSD. At this price range, it’s a great buy. That is, the one on Amazon has the one with another slot for RAM and ssd