Want Laptop from European online shop using PayPal to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelley

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hi

I'd like to buy a laptop with XP not Vista.

I'd like to buy from a European supplier in euros and pay using PayPal.

But I don't want to buy from an individual on ebay - who may take paypal but will offer no customer service and may have nicked the laptop anyway.

So who knows of an online store that takes PayPal, based in France, Spain, Germany, Italy..?

Thanks A LOT!
Shelley

frozenlead

Distinguished
I don't know much about international shopping, but many of them ship internationally - you don't necessarily have to look for one in europe.

Filling out Maziar's sticky would help a lot here.

Why do you want XP? There is no reason to use XP over Vista - Vista is not what it once was. It used to be unreliable and problematic, but now it's pretty solid and performs better than XP did. Plus you can have 4GB of ram with Vista.

shelley

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hi - buying in Europe is necessary so I don't get stung with import duty - which I will if I buy from the States.

Thanks - I don't need to give you my specs - what I need is a PC supplier who takes PayPal in Europe - that supplier will have a choice and I can pick from it.

Any decent computer supplier in Europe out there who takes PayPal is what I want - if anyone can give me some links...

Vista has a bad reputation - XP is great as I have it already. I prefer to stick with XP, which does everything I need it to, and wait till Windows bring out something better than Vista.

Shelley

shelley

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
The word out there is that Vista is not fixed.

http://www.pctipsbox.com/if-you-think-sp1-fixed-windows-vista-think-again/

Plus my friend who has a new vista laptop could not even listen to some mp3 files I sent her...

And I have software that might not be compatible such as Cute FTP - just too busy to mess about with a system that has problems.

I mean what a waste of time when I can use XP, which already works...

frozenlead

Distinguished
That article outlines the problems of upgrading to Vista SP1, which happened with XP too when SP1 came out with it. The machine you'll buy will have SP1 pre-installed.

MP3 playback capability is not under Vista - it's an operating system, not a music player. The issue there was your friends music player, not Vista.

There are literally thousands of FTP programs out there, and Cute FTP is a pretty obscure one. This isn't Apple.

XP works fine, but so does Vista. Vista just has a lot of bad initial press and no good follow ups. The system is pretty good now. I'm using it, and I'm pretty happy - this being a power user.

I can't help you with the question of buying a notebook in Europe, though, sorry. I do recommend Vista, though.

shelley

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hi there

Cute FTP may be obscure but it's the software I've got!!

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

I'm getting XP as a downgrade with a laptop - why fix it if it ain't broken - and allows me to buy a PC with less RAM (save money) because XP doesn't need loads of RAM like VIsta

Bye for now
Shelley

PS Vista on French national radio last week as the biggest disaster out of Microsoft since time began.
If there is no good follow-up in the press - why is that I wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.