***Want To Build Custom AMD Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Where can I find parts and/or where can I have a custom AMD laptop built? I want a 17.3" screen, AMD Quad-Core Processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. (No HP and No DELL).

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
That's very adventurous of you to build your own lap. Just like what I had in mind 2 years ago.
I couldn't find the right parts and I had to drop it. Custom building laptops is not as easy as building a desktop.
Desktops are far more powerful, reliable than any laptop. Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but you might
end up with a laptop that is far from what you had in mind.

For eg. getting a motherboard for your lap is very difficult. You might have to rely on motherboards from retail brands
like Dell, Hp or something.
Or you might go for bare bones kit. Not the very best but building a lap from that is doable.
Sure a laptop gives you the luxury of portability no desktop can dream to provide. But I'd rather prefer the power
instead of portability. That's my opinion.

I see you have a decent rig with you. Why not upgrade it. It'd be far cheaper than building a new PC or lap.
All this is just my point of view and suggestions. I wish you all the very best if you go ahead to build your laptop.
Maybe after that you can help me put my laptop together. Cheers.......

TheBigTroll

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
id never build my own laptop. parts are so hard to find that most people just go to a OEM builder like from sager or xoticpc. they do a good job and are basically your only option

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

This is exactly what I am looking for: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/productdetails.aspx?lang=en-CA&sku=10227299

Now here is the problem: I live in the U.S. This is in Canada, I need 2 of them, They do not ship from the Best Buy in Canada that this is located at, This price is only good until 04/18/2013, I need to find a way to get them shipped to me. I personally called the Best Buy in Laval, Canada this morning to find out if they could swing it, but they don't. If you can solve this for me, it would be much appreciated.

This model is NOT sold at all in the U.S.A. pisses me off because the i7 version is about twice as much and I want AMD anyway.

Thank you.

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I DO NOT want an Intel.

TheBigTroll

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
any good reason? you are looking for performance, which amd does not offer on the mobile side of things. its not like amd is bad, just that it just doesnt offer the performance

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

The Laptop you just recommended is not 17.3" (Which is what I want). Secondly, Intel's Graphics flat out suck. Third of all, I want quality and something that will last me a long time, hence AMD over Intel. Also I would like to note the price difference between the price of the computer I want and the one you just posted. ASUS K75DE is $699.99 Normally Your MSI above stated is $1,199.99. They both have the same processor, the same amount of RAM, and HDD storage. ASUS uses their own motherboards, which are the best out there, and the ASUS one is a 17.3" screen, which the MSI one is 15.6".

TheBigTroll

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
the thing is that most intel laptops come with a dedicated GPU. and the intel graphics dont suck that much to be honest. it plays cod fine and does most of the basic stuff fine so no problem there.

amd laptops tend to last not as long. ive seen it happen all the time

more than 6gb of ram is useless on a laptop. video editing goes back to a desktop or at least a intel quad core mobile chip

more screen size doesnt make it better. manufactuers tend to cheap out and put the same size battery in both screen sizes to save money. not to mention when getting 17 inch laptops. it doesnt mean you are going to get a resolution boost, making your extra money spent useless

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Here's the deal, I want the 17.3" screen, I want an AMD a10 processor, I want at least 6GB of RAM, I want Dedicated Graphics (which Intel RARELY does on a Laptop) and I want either an ASUS or Toshiba. I have someone in Canada that will be able to pick the Laptop up for me from Best Buy, but I need to know what the process is and around how much it would cost for him to ship 2 of these Laptops to me in California. I know what I want and I am set on getting it. Here is the link:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/productdetails.aspx?lang=en-CA&sku=10227299

TheBigTroll

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
rarely? your kidding me right? this is cheaper and performs better.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77097&vpn=NP550P5C-S03CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1021

live in the us? no problem. free shipping
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77097&vpn=NP550P5C-S03CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1021

and fyi, the gt630m performs better than the 7670m found on your asus laptop. so, the intel is a better choice in both ways. yeah, its not going to be a 17 inch notebook, but then all you get from making that step up is less battery life and more cost even though the difference is minimal.

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

That is an Nvidia card NOT Intel... lol. I do like Nvidia better than ATI. That one still is not a 17.3" or have an AMD a10 Processor. I DO NOT WANT INTEL or a smaller screen than 17.3". I would appreciate it if you did not comment on this if you are not going to listen. Thank you.

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hey FnIrish, i thinkwhat the big troll was saying was that intel laptops often come with dedicated cards. Because AMD is more of a budget brand, they don't usually put dedicated cards in there equipment. with that said, I have an A6 in my wifes laptop, and while i love AMD to death, i have never owned an intel product in my life. maybe as a child. but i get more lag on my i7 than i do with my little A6. Anyhoo, back on topic. As i was saying, AMD usually only includes integrated cards. Meaning when you find an intel chipset with a dedi, you get dual GPU's ( harder to find with AMD branded equipment ) because it would simply cost to much. So the HD graphics you are getting on the laptop you posted, are possibly a hair better than the HD4000, but a higher end intel laptop will include a true dedicated card meaning you get two, which helps with battery, power, and gaming. People are always going to say why this, when they like something else. Granted you were very specific, that's just the way forum operate. you never get a solid answer to what you want. I do however think the laptop you posted to was a rather decent price IMO. If you are on a lower budget, and don't mind descrete graphics, that's the way to go ! good luck, and hope you get what you want.

TheBigTroll

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
you must being doing something wrong when a i7 is slower than a a6 processor. go run some benchmarks

amd intergrated graphics arent a hair better. they are at least 50% better. thats why people go for a amd laptop. not for CPU performance, but for the GPU

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Whoops, i thought the 7670m was the APU, my fault, i didn't read it properly. Typically people go with AMD because it's cheaper.. not because it has better graphic abilities. Then again, that's all about perception. Actual numbers don't mean anything to people who have there mind set on what they feel is better versus what isn't better.

Again, i was looking at it in terms of the APU, not the dedi on that model he posted, so you are indeed correct, the hd4000 wouldnt' really be comparable to that gpu, so my fail. Typically, amd's APU series isn't going to be much of anything better than intels HD.

As far as the A6 being better than an i7, i didn't run any benchmarks, im going by what it seems. Perception to the eyes, and i feel the A6 out performs the i7 with some of my daily tasks. Ones running win 7, the other is win 8, there could be many factors, or startup software im not paying attention to. The comment was ment to just be " talking out loud ". Although, the dual core i7's simply don't out preform the A6 on every level. But again, that's besides the point. this entire conversation i posted is moot, as i failed to read the specs on the website.

now that i have, i think it's a fine little machine.

FnIrish

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I do appreciate everyone's input, even yours troll. The i7 outperforms the AMD a6 for sure, but the AMD a10 will run better, faster and cooler than the i7 any day. Anyway, I want that computer or something with the same specs for around the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.