Wanted: Reliable Workhorse To Last Three Years, 3d Modeler

I Model Kitchens

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Greetings

Seeking help and advice from all you wonderful and geeky people.
I am a 3D Set Out Modeler (Design & Produce Kitchens). I am after a new workhorse as I am contract worker (move around every 1 week to 6 months) and carrying a desktop around is not viable. Seeking sturdy desktop replacement laptop to last 3 years. Being durable is non-neg. Easy to clean is needed, work in a dusty environment.

1. What is your budget?

2000-3000 AUD (Aussie Dollary doos)
Australia tax means this is about 70-50% of an American price.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15" min. 17" Preferred.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

At Least full high definition, 4k would be a bonus.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Hell yes. Must be powerful desktop replacement. Weight is not an issue.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not any really, would be nice to have a 6hr battery but I always have power nearby and do not work on public transport (because Sydney has shit public transport I drive everywhere). Although removable battery for easy replacement is a bonus.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No, strictly work laptop. BUT Needs to be gaming powerful as I 3d model and multi screen-multi task.
MUST BE NVIDIA GPU. Software I use actually uses the physx algorithms and barely functions without a nvidia GPU.
MINIMUM 16GB RAM.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

3d Model and procrastinate.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
SSD 512gb MINIMUM.
SSD (200gb min) Plus HDD Storage Preferred.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Favorite haunt
https://www.pccasegear.com/
Acceptable other
https://www.ple.com.au/
And anything that ships to AU and does returns (in case of warranty return)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3 years or there abouts. Something that would last me longer is fantastic
(Aussie Tax write offs for laptops are over 3 years)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not needed. Nice bonus if it had it had a DVD writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I love my old Microsoft surface tablet but sadly none of their range is acceptable for my needs. Good experiences with acer, msi & asus. Do not like dells much. No logical reason why though.

13. What country do you live in?

Downunderland (Australia)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Something not too "I am a hardcore gamer" looking laptop preferred; tradies do not look favorably upon that and I need to be reasonably professional.
Mostly I am seeking advice on build quality. I know that can be hard because everyone makes a lemon every once in a while. But I want to avoid getting a laptop and there are major issues with them so laptops to avoid are also welcomed suggestions.
Something up gradable is desirable (like RAM & HDD). I loved the MSI GS series but there are some seriously shonky issues with them it seems but that is what I am after roughly in specs and looks department especially with the bonuses going right now. Link https://au.msi.com/Promotion/Elite_Gamecase

Solution
i have the new acer v17 17inch laptop with the tobii eye tracking technology.so far it serve me well than my previous laptop.got an i7-7700HQ , 32GB of ddr4 memory,a 25gb pcie ssd + 1 tb storage and a gtx 1060 with 6gb of vram.it cost me around 2300-2400 Brunei dollar.the 4k variant will cost almost 3000 brunei dollar..built quality is not bad imo.did a few heavy workload and seems to handle them just fine and quiet as well.
i have the new acer v17 17inch laptop with the tobii eye tracking technology.so far it serve me well than my previous laptop.got an i7-7700HQ , 32GB of ddr4 memory,a 25gb pcie ssd + 1 tb storage and a gtx 1060 with 6gb of vram.it cost me around 2300-2400 Brunei dollar.the 4k variant will cost almost 3000 brunei dollar..built quality is not bad imo.did a few heavy workload and seems to handle them just fine and quiet as well.

Solution