WARNING about BIOSAgentPlus

Anythingyoulike2

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
I have a machine with X58 Intel chipset ICH10 and came across BIOSagentPlus to update my BIOS. First off I was offered a direct service into my computer over the net to install the best files for a cost of $99. This was a totally unexpected response after I had just paid $29.95. I declined that.

As I continued and ran a check for my machine a strange BIOS file was identified as the one needed. Immediately it did not seem to be right. The name wasn't what I was expecting and I challenged BIOSAgentPlus.

They insisted it was correct, but their blurb points out they take no responsibility for any errors. That was it. That was enough for me because I have a rather rare gaming notebook and had no way to rectify the problem if he BIOS was wrong. I was very disturbed that wherever I went these people kept popping up as the source. My BIOS is by Phoenix and it has to be updated by flashing it outside of windows.
I would urge everyone to avoid this outfit operating in other circles under the name esupport as others have noted.

The bottom line is I found that what they were insisting was right was in fact TOTALLY WRONG and would have bricked my motherboard. As it is a kind without a removeable BIOS chip it would have been toast. As others advise here, DO NOT trust such third parties to supply a BIOS.

ONLY deal with your BIOS maker or machine / motherboard manufacturer or integrator to get the files. Whoever supplies such files will not take responsibility if something goes wrong because YOU and what YOU do is outside of their control, which of course is reasonable in case you are a pleb, so the last thing you need is an outfit that will not help you at all and will quite easily put you wrong.

BIOSAgentPlus identified my machine but could not guarantee anything. I had several goes at them and all they would say is have your money back,. I was very annoyed because people like this should carry insurance and be accountable. I was not prepared to just accept a refund and go away. I was incensed by it and kept onto them and sent out tweets in case other people might fall into a big black hole with a joke outfit. Anyway be warned.

Don't use these people or esupport. They are totally unaccountable. In any case ask yourself the question Why would the likes of Phoenix or Award give up their services to such a third party like esupport or BIOSAgentPlus. On official BIOS makers' sites there is no mention of this third party bunch of cowboys. What they have managed to do very successfully is insert themselves into any search for your BIOS update.

I hope this stops you making a terrible mistake which at one point I was only a keypress away from making. Something in my head screamed NO. I am so glad I listened to my inner voice of intuition. Eventually I found the right BIOS from another user of the right same kind of hardware. It was completely different to what BIOSAgentPlus were offering me.

Solution
The ONLY source for official BIOS updates would be your manufacturer or vendors website. Simple as that. Same goes for Drivers while we're at it.

There is a community dedicated to reverse engineering/moding for custom BIOS', but you'd also never be charged for those.

Incidentally, a quick Google of "BIOSAgentPlus" would've told you everything you needed to know.
Pages and pages of 1* reviews, negative feedback, claims of bricked systems etc.

The chance of accountability from a company/developer clearly designed to take your money & run is never going to happen.
Insurance wouldn't get you any further, even if they (could) carry it....which in all likelihood, they couldn't.. If they're unscrupulous enough to just take your money...
The ONLY source for official BIOS updates would be your manufacturer or vendors website. Simple as that. Same goes for Drivers while we're at it.

There is a community dedicated to reverse engineering/moding for custom BIOS', but you'd also never be charged for those.

Incidentally, a quick Google of "BIOSAgentPlus" would've told you everything you needed to know.
Pages and pages of 1* reviews, negative feedback, claims of bricked systems etc.

The chance of accountability from a company/developer clearly designed to take your money & run is never going to happen.
Insurance wouldn't get you any further, even if they (could) carry it....which in all likelihood, they couldn't.. If they're unscrupulous enough to just take your money and run, you think they're likely to give out any insurance information for you to attempt to file a claim?

Solution

Colif

Distinguished
Only update BIOS on older boards if you buy new hardware, and even then it may not help. That or if you are having problems that almost everything else hasn't fixed until then.

Don't download BIOS or Drivers from anyone other than hardware makers. Auto methods may seem easier but can often install wrong things. BIOS is last thing I would install in windows or via a 3rd party program.

Paying $130 to download a file you can get yourself for free is criminal

I edited op to make it easier to read.