Warning! Norton Ghost 10 Major Problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikski

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I have a nice problem with 9.0 AND 10.0, neither will see my network mass storage drives Netgear SC101, Symantic made me a new ISO CD and it didn't work either. Acronis won't see my network drives either. The SC101 uses SCSI interface with the IDE drives which is causing the problem, but I have all the drivers for the ISO, but no go, OUCH!!! I have no back at the moment and I'm very unhappy with backup programs. :(

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hey, I'm with you. I use Ghost 9 and 10 all the time and never have problems.

Though, I would venture to say that some people aren't as informed of previous versions of Ghost and lack the foundation that one would get from using the product over the span of time.

Can't really fault anyone but Symantec.. but their product does work. How many people today really remember loading system drivers manually? Windows took care of that problem years ago..

Hell, when was the last time you installed a CD-ROM driver or Floppy driver? heh.

ttlc

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi i'm a new user. dose norton ghost 10 work with sata drive (not raid)? how about the sata driver? do I need to provide it or will it ask for it when I have to use the recovery disc to recovery my system? If it doesn't ask for it, how do I include it when I make a recovery CD or dvd?
thanks

DoctorFever

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Well we get the good and the bad, but SYMANTEC have lost it!
If you need a stable computer and value your time, do not use any of their products, I am a software and hardware reseller and I have had nothing but problems with their software. It is not the fuctionality of the product as that is quite good, but the system crashes and other problems that it causes is not worth the good points.
Ghost works OK but causes many system problems and hangups, one major problem in Ghost 10 is if an XP pro user shares his disks and directories with other users then all shared devices will after a while not be accesable to anyone on the network, Gives error "contact the administrator you do not have permisions" and in the windows event veiwer it gives an error that parameters in the registry need increasing, but doing this does not fix the problem and Microsoft Support can not dertermine why, After having several systems doing this and spending many hours I found the common denominator -- Norton Ghost 10 -- after uninstalling Ghost all problems solved. and the above is not the only problem with Ghost affecting the system.
Another Symantec problem that causes many errors is WinFax Pro, an excelent Faxing program but a cause of many system crashes and hangs.
As for Norton Antivirus, lets not even go there !!!
I no longer sell or recomend their products as they ignore any recomendations and never reply to emails. One big issue with the clients I sold Norton antivirus is if they have slow network conections or send large emails there system does not like outgoing mail scanning, so go to client turn off outgoing mail scan, charge client for call and guess what, Norton consistanly complains that the system is not secure and user is promted to FIX, and viola! another call is logged for email crashes, and client is charges once again to turn off outgoing mail scan. Do you think they will even take note!!! Surely the client should have the right configure as they deem nessasary with maybe one warning during the config change.
Also Norton Antivirus seemingly has the ability to disable itself if the updating thinks it may be a duplicate instalation, so protect your Serial code and do not leave the number lying around as staff tend to write it down and then install at home. Symantec are paranoid and this causes unhappy customers, and does not stop piracy. It's afterall piracy that made norton popular and moreso made Microsoft the defacto operating system.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you are replying to an almost year old thread.

symantec sucks.

for backups/clone of your PC use acronis true image and make a rescue CD then boot off of that and clone your drive, SATA or what ever it does a great job. ;)

DoctorFever

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Thanks, I noticed that, but just goes to prove nothing has changed sine 2006 and probably everyone has just given up on Symantec to try to salvage their company.
I will go with your recomendation and buy a copy to test before I recomend it to clients. What antivirus software do you recomend and the reasons would be appreciated.
Thanks
The Doc.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
anti virus needs to be light, fast and very good all those I would say the fastest I have tested and the lightest and IMO the best is:

Nod32

and while we are at it the best anti spyware

that is my setup

anti virus = nod32
anti spyware = spysweeper
firewall = sygate pro 5.6
backup = acronis true image

with that setup you are secure and if anything should happen you got a full copy ready to go in seconds. ;)

natan770

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Hi;

to get all these features for FREE, why not switch to Linux and opensource ? minus the bugs :)

=> PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Natan

G

Hello,
can i add my own complaint to this impressive list.
I Bought Norton GOST 14
after installation it was impossible to start a standard backup of my system disk. message, you can't execute this operation while windows is running....

I Called for tehcnical support. they applied complementary installation. why not include this modules in the installation disk?
the new ghost seems then to work. not for long...
I Start a new backup and one hour later, it says impossible to create backup restore points!!! impossible to look for the shift!!! incorrect parameters.

I called again the technical support that say you should have the same ntfs formating on the backup volume. that was not very clear neither in the user manual nor in miscellaneous forum.

I bought this expensive public software which is so technical that I spent hours before using it.

I do not recommand to by this recovery soft.

Dave Haf

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I agree. Norton Ghost has some of the most poorly written directions I've ever seen. Their customer support is the worst, and you can't understand the customer support(?) reps because they are all from India. Expensive and crumby. Lost my family pics and movies using their software. All they said was "Sorry" when they obviously were not and said don't call again because they no longer support Norton Ghost 9.0

sidmvl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hi,
I found a solution to a similar problem was to move to a different application SmartDeploy. They have a unique model;
■Build a base virtual machine
■Install everything you want
■Capture that
■Now the real interesting thing, you use something they call Platform Pack to inject your drivers at deploy time. This makes their image valid for any hardware that you have the appropriate drivers for.

I found this met my needs since I usually buy various types of hardware depending on cost vs performance. They have free applications as well, such as;
SmartWim - similar to ImageX
SmartVDK - virtual disk mounting
SmartMigrate - captures your XP machine into a virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.