Was I scammed? Laptop from 3rd party Amazon seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartmanKusanagi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
So I went on Amazon and managed to find a good deal on the Lenovo Ideapad y410p for $810 counting shipping. Not only was it the cheapest one available (the rest were around $850-900), but it was also brand new, so I bought it on impulse.

The thing is, I made the mistake of not looking at the info completely before buying it: the laptop came from a seemingly new seller. They only had one feedback rating, a 100%. I couldn't find anything on their storefront (but they did sell a book according to a customer review), leading me to think this could possibly be a scam. Also, I might just be overreacting with this, but the order status still says "Preparing to ship", even though the estimated shipping date was between 1/2 and 1/3. If this laptop turns out to be a fraud or doesn't come at all, will I be covered by Amazon's A to Z guarantee?

UPDATE: I just got the laptop from my post office today (it was supposed to be delivered on Thursday, but I was in school and had no one to sign for it) and everything is working great so far. Thanks for all the help, though, even if everything turned out okay in the end.

Solution

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Contact the third party seller. If they don't respond, give it one more day and if it's not dispatched yet contact amazon directly to resolve the issue.

"If a dispute arises between you and a third-party seller, and you cannot reach an agreement with them, the Amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee is available to you. For more information, go to A-to-z Guarantee."

I've been there done that. usually they ship within 48 hours if not then do contact Amazon through the link I've posted

CartmanKusanagi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I just checked and it turns out I can't file a claim for shipping problems until after the last estimated delivery date (January 23rd) unless I receive the item beforehand. I sent the seller an email, but if he doesn't respond by Monday, then I guess I'll be playing the waiting game.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
ALWAYS ALSO INVOLVE YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY ... Now I admit I made some mistakes stupid mistakes when I was a drunken young man, so my credit card is a bank debit Visa. But even they have a claims help system when you dial the 1800 # on the back. If you are a decent customer with a real credit card, I have seen both an old boss w/ his Amex and my father with a MasterCard call up and get stuff removed immediately ... Then their people do the heavy lifting versus the company in question.

In that case at least you could get your "money back" immediately and go buy something else. I am EXTREMELY LUCKY in that I just ordered an Acer Aspire V5-552PG-X469 on NYE, 12/31, and I paid $679 to my door, best price in the world. And it took only one day to ship from their HQ in NYC to my home in the NE area. *but* if I had had a problem with my order, like you, I would be firing on all cylinders trying to sort it out. Homey don't play that... especially for this type of money and this equipment.

CartmanKusanagi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I appreciate the responses everyone has been giving me so far.

The seller just emailed me saying they haven't been able to ship the laptop due to bad weather from Winter Storm Hercules and that they'd try their best to get it shipped out once the roads clear up and the post office reopens. It sounds reasonable enough and the seller seemed sincere, but I'm still feeling kind of iffy. I'll keep everyone up to date on what happens.

UPDATE: My package shipped today. The seller also emailed me some photos of the laptop (still sealed in its box) and even offered me a Windows 7 Pro product key as an apology for the late shipment (they gave me a choice between that and Windows 8 Pro).

UPDATE 2: The laptop was supposed delivered today, but it is at the post office because I was in school and had no one to sign for the package. I'll pick it up some time tonight or tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

How did it go?

CartmanKusanagi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Everything has been great so far! The laptop was indeed brand new and is working flawlessly. Thanks for asking!

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Brilliant glad to hear it!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS