Watch the Call of Duty: Black Ops Launch Trailer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]helipro[/nom]It seems a number of you are judging this game based off Infinity wards actions with call of duty 6.This game is not made by infinity ward, but by treyarch. They actually have some of the BEST customer support out of any game out there. Also, they DO support MODS (even ask the creator of the X4 mods for call of duty 4). They have unranked dedicated servers that you can FULLY CUSTOMIZE. IT ISNT MW2S ENGINE so it isnt a remake of cod6! Oh and the campaign. I think you all will be in for a surprise. I will not even start to talk about the fail mechanics of BOTH the dice games and their lack of support for the pc community. On top of that, this game is not going to be a crappy port, an entire studio has been working on the development of this game for pc to ensure that it runs at a perfect fine tuned condition for the pc. Want a crappy port? go play bioshock.This game IS NOT and has nothing to do with Call Of Duty 6 in vietnam. So before you judge a book by its cover, go do some research.[/citation]

It seems your analysis is completely wrong.

The devoloper has nothing to do with what we are saying.

CoD4 was made by Infinity Ward and it was awesome.
CoD5 was made by Treyarch and is was good.
CoD6 was made by Infinity Ward and it was a piece of sh*t.

The problem was/is Activi$ion

We are judging CoD7 by its predecessors and what was shown by the gaming press. Btw it will be a port by all standards... Can you tell the difference between a PC FPS map and a console FPS map at first sight, I can.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]Looks pretty awesome...not too sure about the "race through the guns" game mode though. At least there will be dedicated servers!!![/citation]

You mean a copy of a gun game CSS server? Kids love it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]helipro[/nom]It seems a number of you are judging this game based off Infinity wards actions with call of duty 6.This game is not made by infinity ward, but by treyarch. They actually have some of the BEST customer support out of any game out there. Also, they DO support MODS (even ask the creator of the X4 mods for call of duty 4). They have unranked dedicated servers that you can FULLY CUSTOMIZE. IT ISNT MW2S ENGINE so it isnt a remake of cod6! Oh and the campaign. I think you all will be in for a surprise. I will not even start to talk about the fail mechanics of BOTH the dice games and their lack of support for the pc community. On top of that, this game is not going to be a crappy port, an entire studio has been working on the development of this game for pc to ensure that it runs at a perfect fine tuned condition for the pc. Want a crappy port? go play bioshock.This game IS NOT and has nothing to do with Call Of Duty 6 in vietnam. So before you judge a book by its cover, go do some research.[/citation]
COD4, make by Infinity Ward is widely considered the best of the series. COD5 was made by Treyarch and was decent, but not as good as 4 was. So that doesn't necessarily bode well for COD7. The disastrous decisions made for COD6 had nothing to do with the production quality of the game but were rather higher level decisions made by Activision. There is no reason to think that Treyarch will have any greater say than Infinity Ward did.

From all accounts that I've read, the dedicated servers will be severely locked down. Why else would they only allow users to use servers from one specific company? They're trying to control the content, limiting user generated content to be able to sell more DLC. I have nothing against paying for DLC, but I want the user mods / maps as well. Whatever modding they do allow will likely (speculation here) be limited to prevent users from making custom maps similar to the paid DLC.

If I'm somehow wrong about all of this and they allow all of the same modding that existed in COD4, then I will buy the game (assuming that the dedicated servers don't suck).

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Not to mention you can only rent the dedicated servers that Trayarch says you can (it is NOT completely open, you have to rent servers from the one company that has the rights to the game).

Dedicated servers will still not be the norm and cheaters will abound like in MW2 and never get caught like in MW2...

Treyarch hasn't specified how much or what kind of modding will be allowed yet. I somehow doubt it will be as good as MW1 or even WAW for that matter.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the game still using the lobby/match making system as MW2? If so, it is trash right there. I hated being autojoined to a prestige server, crappy modded servers (like the sniper, low grav ones), or crazy laggy servers.

Any word if it will not support eyefinity like MW2?

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I remember when MW2 was out for a little while and the creators were talking about the next game, Black ops. They even admitted that themselves that it wasn't going to be as good as MW2. Myself, I'm not an hardcore gamer, although I do game a lot. I have no allegiance to a particular game, I just try to buy them all - for the experience.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I'm going to get the PC version if Treyarch improved their A.I so that they don't just stand there from time to time and the PC version servers are actually adequate.

Else, I'll just skip it. I ended up having to get the X360 version of MW2 because I thought the PC version was going to be deserted but someone worse happened, script kiddies hacking ... glad I dropped my PC preorder for the X360 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.