WD External Drive Access

lethal42

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
Hi All,

Running out of places to turn.

I have a 14TB My Book Duo that I have had for 4 years. It is now repository or 20+ years of my digital life.
It is a little over half full.

My first issue with it was in late 2019, when I was guided to download security and utility software by WD customer service. I was also convinced to add password protection (with hint).

10 Months later an issue occurred with my internal drive, and the external wd, would only unlock by clicking an executable.
(notable at this time was that most of the back up software I had used didnt work to restore as it wasnt in the manufacturers definition of 'pristeen condition', very annoying).

My PC was rebuilt in May last year, and (you guessed it) the executable doesnt work anymore, in fact it doesnt appear to exist.

I have since found that the password 'hint' to unlock the drive ALSO doesnt work. (There are a limited number of options the 'hint' gives me).

Data recovery people (even those recommended by WD), could fix bad sectors etc but when it comes to unlocking or security issues, they fall flat.

Any suggestions PLEASE.

lethal42

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
Of course. and there were only a small number of files viewable.

WDunlock.exe, requires the password, it previously did not.

Looks like I am going to have to play around with the password hint and try all connotations, writting them down (as I was advised recently).