web searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
does anyone use yahoo as a web search tool? i have chrome as my browser and for years i had yahoo as my search engine. i just liked it better than google. when i type something into the top search box or some call it the Omnibox i hit enter and up pops a list of potential sites to look at.

well the other day, when i did that up, pops yahoo with a huge photo and then a search box in the center that put the exact same search term in it and then i have to now click on the spyglass to continue. also if i scroll down yahoo has a bunch ob B.S kind of like the home page. if i was to click the home icon to the left of that top search box.

so does anyone have a cure for this outside of switching to google? i did put google in as the default search engine but i'm just not a fan of their style, but if this is how Yahoo's search engine is going to be from now on i guess i will have to get used to google. but if i can get rid of the yahoo stuff and go back to a few days ago i will like it much better.

when i researched this i got some type of site that called that a hijacked yahoo search and then they put yahoo bak as the way i see it now. but i ran windows scan Malwarebytes scan and windows malicious tool and i still get this.

i also tried to do a recovery and i did not see that anymore in the recovery section of settings and wound up doing a reset that took hours to finish and had to restore half my programs.

so if anyone has come across this now and found a fix please send that along. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok let me make it easier 2 weeks ago i had yahoo as my search engine. i would type text into the top field and het enter and get tons of suggestions. then all of a sudden when i did that i got a large picture and a smaller field in that picture and had to reenter the text to be able to move on. so do you happen to know what happened? i had to change to ecosia to get that back. i do not care for google as i have to do that same thing when i have google as my search engine. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
if i could insert images i would take screenshots. not captcha's ,do you know where you enter text along the top of the page. i forget the term that box is called now but it is the very top on most pcs. well, 3 weeks ago i could enter text for a search hit enter and get tons of possible places to search. i used yahoo for my search engine.
then one day i did that and up popped yahoo with a full page photo and in the center of that photo was another box kind of like google has in their search engine and i had to reenter the test into that box to continue.
ot seems i can't do any images. i have screenshots but when i click the link or image i get links they are on y pc so i have no links. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
well this is what i did just now and it seemed to work. i went into settings and deleted all the search engines that were below the main search engine line. then i went directly to yahoo and used their search field and looked for a camera, then i went back to the settings and in other search engines yahoo was back so i set that as default again and then did more searches and it came back like it was 3 weeks ago. so maybe they had a glitch or got so many complaints they went back to 3 weeks ago. so i set it as default again, now to see how long this holds up. i have been trying that now for 3 weeks and it failed every time. so i just gave up and picked that ecosia engine and so today after working with you guys answering questions i tried again and it came back WOW!!! you really did not do anything but prompted me to see if it was still the same so i could give you better answers.

so lets see how long this holds up. thanks for the questions

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
not the browser. the search engine. but for some reason i got it back just a bit ago. after answering some questions i had to do some tinkering and during that process, i managed to get the yahoo search engine back. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
well that yahoo search engine came back with the large picture in it. so i did a reset of my pc to see if i had some virus and then it came back again. the wife does not have that on her pc, i also have it on my other pc i use now and then.

now i can't even make yahoo my default search engine. i see yahoo in a few places in my other search engine page but i can't get those to be my default.

i tried to get the screenshots into this reply but i just do not see a way to do it. the insert link and insert image want a url link and i have no clue how to get one of those from my pc to here.

so if someone can show me how to get a screenshot into this reply can show what i'm talking about

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i will give that a try i think once again i got yahoo for my search engine. i have no clue why it changes also why do i get so many other search engines in the section below the default engine in chrome? i had to delete about 100 other search engines?

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
so how do i keep the section below default search engines so it does not fill up with nonsense search engines?

so here is what i keep getting the large image is the yahoo's that will not become default the smaller one is the default section that will not let me add yahoo and the 3rd one is after o deleted all the other engines and all that i could in the top section.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
so where is the image? it was from dropbox? so i got a message telling me something went wrong see the admin. so forget this thread. i will go someplace else and ask. this site just not let me get photos and half the time i get no help. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
it requires all a phone and because i get so many scam calls i do not use my phone number anymore. so any site that requires a phone i don't use anymore. i get like 100 scam calls every day it is so bad that i have installed a machine and now every call goes to that and i pick the calls i want. that is what is wrong with that site.

so i uploaded to drop box and this site did not let me use that so now i have 10 forums helping me. thanks

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
do you have any addons or extensions? What browser are you using? try starting your browser in safe or trouble shooting mode? does it still happen?

Jan 19, 2022
I had the same problem and now nothing works! I guess I will just have to get use to yahoo, don't like it much, but as I use it for my simcasts, it's growing on me. Always was a google big fan, but now not so sure, I'll see how this work out!
Sure don't like the way yahoo went about it, but it seem to be working since I got tired of trying to find a way out

Status
Not open for further replies.