Weird noise on line out, please help

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Im running a dual pc streaming rig, with stereo out from the first rig split to both my headset, and the second machine into line in. Ive eliminated all possible sources i can with peripherals and the second machine. ive even gone as far as to unplug my hard drives. I suppose i could capture a recording of the sound if needed, or just make a highlight from one of my streams that is a quiet part that you can really hear it in.

Ive tried using my Xonar DGX as my output to elminiate it.. tried using it in the second rig as a line in, just cant get rid of it. What can i do? is there some bios setting maybe? ive even tried different PCI and PCIe16 slots to see if it would help. and nothing. Ive even had this board (asus sabertooth z77) sent in to asus for RMA. It was sent back with no sort of note or anything. im pretty sure its discontinued by now, maybe asus will offer me some sort of upgrade to a board that doesnt have this problem?

Any solution would be of great help. Maybe external USB sound card? I have to have real time audio from the first machine to my headset with standard stereo jack.

I should probably add, that mouse movements can be heard in this "noise". sounds like a super old printer "eeeeehh" noise. idk.. how to describe it.

heres an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDv5bhy2g8

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Yes, they are both on the same surge protector. 6 connections on one, in total. I thought about this, but wondered if it actually would make a difference if i wasnt on different circuits?

Also, someone said something about a bad splitter ground? or a headphone jack somewhere with a broken ground? Wouldnt this of been something fixed by asus when i sent it in for this very complaint?

westom

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
First, your symptoms demonstrate why different grounds must exist. A better designed board would have an analog ground and a digital ground. Both meet at a common point where DC voltages are provided. And both would be electrically different. And those grounds would be different from its chassis ground.

Your motherboard has a copper ground plane entirely inside the entire board. Significant voltage differences exist even between two ends of that copper plate. Your noise is simply another example of that concepts - and why single point grounds are so essential in eliminating noise.

If a line in or line out connects to a chassis ground, then that also is a reason for noise.

Unfortunately, insufficient information was provided to say more. But you clearly have a voltage different between two boxes that should be connected to a common ground.

BTW, that adjacent protector could contribute to noise. Better is a pure power strip - without protector parts. This much we can suspect - grounds between both boxes are defective. It may be that motherboard ground has too many connection to chassis ground. Or that grounds and filters are somehow compromised.

Your solution lies in learning a concept called single point ground. And learn why a copper plate inside each motherboard can have voltage difference across that board.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

So, my resolution involves researching said concept? or eliminating the surge protector and or possibly using two different outlets, one for each machine?

westom

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Curiously, a conference of EMI/EMC/RFI engineers involves lots of bald men. Are they bald because they scratch their heads alot? No. But that is how complex such problems can be.

First determine, for example, what items might be in a loop that creates the noise. What does and does not eliminate or change the noise. The idea is to discover what is and is not in the path or loop that creates that noise. Only then is analysis done to first discover the ource of that noise. And then solutions implemented to solve it.

Tools such as isolation filters are helpful in temporarily removing those parts of a noise system - not to eliminate the noise - but to help identify what is part of that reason for noise. Then (with other's assistance) can the actual problem be discovered and then eliminated.

Yes, a common source of safety ground (all units powered from the same power strip) can further help.

Other possible reasons can be a defective AC line filter in a power supply. If using an Asis board, then its PSU was also sourced by some independent manufacturer. All PSU requirements (ie RFI, safety features, etc) are not the responsibility of the PSU manufacturers. Meeting all those requirements is 100% the responsibility of the top contractor - that is you. So many power supplies are intentionally missing filters or other parts that would otherwise make such noise irrelevant.

Again, to say more requires better information. But the sound appears to me noise from a motor. Is it? Does a motor operation coincide with the noise? Again, more information that would better isolate that noise to one part of a larger loop.

Definitely remove the surge protector. Replace it with a pure power strip (no protector parts) to discover how that changes things. That protector is really not doing anything useful. But that is not the question. Is that protector part of a loops that makes noise problematic?

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

The noise does seem to be isolated to the Gaming machine itself, and can be heard through my headset that is plugged into it, but very very very quietly. It is through splitting it into the line in of the Streaming machine, that it is amplified? somehow?or it just hears it better or something? and is much more noticeable.

I've tried removing all peripherals from the equation an the noise didnt stop. I used to think it was from my usb powered turtle beach headset, but i even removed that from the setup as well. the only thing i have not tried at this point is what has been suggested, changing the powerstrip, the splitter, and the orientation of the power cables which might be hard with this setup. I keep getting told to use separate outlets/powerstrips, by people on "bleepingcomputer" but what youre saying is to use the same strip?

westom

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

All third prongs (safety ground) should connect together at a common point - ie same power strip. Having multiple units connected to separate safety grounds can create ground loops.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Makes sense. Ill do some testing with power strips and wall outlets and different splitters/cables and see what i can find out then report back after the weekend. thanks