Weird sound from laptop !!

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hello guys. I have a r510jx (x550jx) laptop from asus. It was beeping when laptop was off and unplugged both. Then asus changed the motherboard. Then came new problem of sound coming from laptop hdd. The sound that was not coming from 1st mobo and I have never heard from my sister's 2 compaq laptop as well. The hdd was making slight click sound when running laptop. I called asus and they replaced that hdd with new hdd. Now that same problem has arised with new hdd as well. Can their be problem in my mobo as their was no sound in 1st mobo from hdd.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you are hearing a clicking sound, then that is hard drive, bottom line. I've never heard of a motherboard making noise. If I were you, I would purchase an SSD and install it in the laptop and reinstall Windows with the restore disk(s) that came with it. An SSD will make your computer feel like a new and much faster computer.

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016

I am asking that can it be problem in motherboard sata connector or hdd voltage regulator in mobo. Bro I need lots of storage and 1tb ssd for my laptop will be more than half cost of laptop which I can't afford currently.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've never heard of ANY noises coming from just the motherboard. I have heard on many occasions the "click of death" coming from a hard drive. Once you begin to hear clicking from a hard drive, you should back up your data and replace the drive because hard drive failure is imminent.

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016

Bro I am not saying that sound is coming from mobo. Its coming from hdd. What I am saying is that same hdd was not making sound in 1st mobo which it make in new replaced mobo and new hdd is also making same sound. So I want to ask that can it be problem in mobo or not ??

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is possible that the drive got jostled around too much during transit and the arm got out of alignment and is starting to touch the platters. It is not uncommon that hard drives get damaged in the mail. I highly doubt that the drive was damaged due to the motherboard.

Some HD make different noise than others. A faint "chirping" sound is normal, a drive constantly re-calibrating is no good.

A re-calibrating sound is like a low throaty thing following by click-click and it repeats.

Look man, we are not there, we cannot guarantee you anything, we are just hobbyists like you are, not ASUS employees.

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016

I think best bet is to call asus and request them to replace mobo. Btw thanks for your suggestion.