Solved! Weird Wifi issue

Jan 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm having a weird time with connecting to home wifi on my Huawei P10 Lite.

We have two Wifi bands, a 2.4 ghz and a 2.5 ghz one. Both work fine on my phone when I'm in the lounge close to the router. However, the signal for the 2.4 ghz wifi appears to be much stronger than the 2.5 ghz one in my bedroom (as you'd expect with all the walls). However, for some reason my phone has unexpected problems connecting to the 2.4 ghz wifi when in my room. At first it would give incorrect password erros, even though the password was right. Now it simply says 'Connecting...', but fails to connect almost every time. On the very rare ocassion it does connect, it works for a bit but then suddenly disconnects. The same happens when walking into the room from the lounge.

I don't understand why this is happening when the signal for the 2.4 ghz wifi in my room has 3-4 bars. What's more, while the 2.5 ghz signal in my room is intermittent, my phone manages to connect fine to the 2.5 ghz wifi when there is just a single bar of signal on the 2.5 ghz network. I don't understand why it can do this, but not connect to the apparently much stronger 2.4 ghz signal. As I said, it connects fine to the 2.4 ghz wifi in the lounge, so it does work on that network.

Hoping I can find a resolution, as I'm just stuck with trying to catch intermittent signal from the 2.5 ghz network at the moment.

Solution
Actually that should be 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz (not 2.5).

While leaving both active on a device is OK, a single device can't really access both of them at the same time. It will access one or the other.

Another thing that can interfere is the phone's data. If you have data through your carrier/service provider for the phone. Sadly some devices have problems with their WiFi connection if the data on the phone is on/active. You can try turning the data off, while using WiFi, and see if that helps.

It is also possible that it is something with your modem/router and the way it is set up. To check this you would have to log into the modem's/router's settings and see if there are any limitations, restrictions, etc.

Additionally you may also...
Actually that should be 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz (not 2.5).

While leaving both active on a device is OK, a single device can't really access both of them at the same time. It will access one or the other.

Another thing that can interfere is the phone's data. If you have data through your carrier/service provider for the phone. Sadly some devices have problems with their WiFi connection if the data on the phone is on/active. You can try turning the data off, while using WiFi, and see if that helps.

It is also possible that it is something with your modem/router and the way it is set up. To check this you would have to log into the modem's/router's settings and see if there are any limitations, restrictions, etc.

Additionally you may also want to check what channels the WiFis are using and if there are other WiFis from elsewhere overlapping yours and on the same channel. This would interfere with your connection, so then you may have to change what channels the modem/router is using.

Solution
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm aware that I can't access both networks at once. I mentioned the 5 ghz network to make the point that I can connect to it fine in my room when there is just a bar of signal. However, the 5 ghz signal is intermittent so not ideal. When I try switch to the 2.4 ghz network in my room I can't connect at all, despite the stronger signal.

I don't usually have mobile data on so it shouldn't be that.

However, i think you might be on to something with the WiFi channel issue. In my room, I do get strong signal from neighbouring WiFis, so maybe that is interfering. On the other hand, signal of neighbouring WiFis is not as strong in the lounge, where my phone connects fine to the 2.4 ghz network.

So now to figure out how to change the channel for the router and see if that helps.

I would suggest looking up the direct instructions for your particular modem/router But normally you would have to log into the modem/router from a computer. Through the browser. Different routers have different log in URLs so you will have to look into what it is for yours (a quick google search should help). Then you need your main log in and password. Not the WiFi one. If you don't know it, then it would be the original for the device when purchased (should be in the instructions) or contact the manufacturer.

Jan 29, 2020
Managed to change channels and it seemed to help a little. Even used an app to select the optimum one. However, the issues still crop up unfortunately.

I can be in my room connected with good signal and then suddenly my phone just disconnects. When I try reconnect, it says incorrect password even though nothing has changed. Sometimes after about 5 tries of getting incorrect password, it does reconnect, only to disconnect a few minutes later.

It is rather frustrating and very odd that this never happens when connected to the same network in the lounge.

Then there must be something interfering with it in that area of the building. Either coming from elsewhere (other WiFi, etc.), other electronics between there and the modem/router or other physical interference.

I say that because you say it works fine elsewhere in the building. On the same WiFi.

Jan 29, 2020
Then there must be something interfering with it in that area of the building. Either coming from elsewhere (other WiFi, etc.), other electronics between there and the modem/router or other physical interference.

I say that because you say it works fine elsewhere in the building. On the same WiFi.

It really is rather odd, especially as my laptop doesn't suffer from the same problem for whatever reason. Guess I might just be stuck with it if the problem is unavoidable interference :(