What are the lightest laptops ?

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
It might sound like a stupid or unusual question but I would like to know what are the lightest, yet somewhat high-performance laptop currently on the market. I'm a university student and I've been stuck with a bone disease for quite a few years now. It got to a point where carrying my current Dell notebook is just too heavy for me.

And when I say light, I mean like, very very light. I know about apple and their Macbook Air line but I've never been a fan of Apple and I think their products are just overpriced for what they offer.

Here's a quick checklist of what I need (or don't need):

- Super light
- 1 200 $ is as high as I am willing to pay
- Won't get too hot
- The keyboard must be of very good quality and comfortable as I type a lot and my hands are affected by the disease.
- Good trackpad
- Powerful enough to be quick and responsive.

- I do not need a lot of HDD (or SSD) space, I am perfectly comfortable with anything between 128gb and 500gb.
- I do not need a DVD-drive
- I won't require the laptop to play high-end games on max, although I do like to play a few minutes of Diablo 3 here and there between classes, and I can live with playing on medium.

I think that's pretty much all of it. I don't have a favorite brand name for either the CPU, GPU or the laptop itself. Thanks everyone !

Edit : I forgot to mention something ! Anything bigger than 15" or 15,6" is too big for me. The ideal size would be somewhere between 12" and 15" I guess.

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I heard about ultrabooks, but there specs and weight seem to vary pretty wildly between the different models. I know a few things about computers but not that much. That whole ultrabook thing sounds pretty confusing to me.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Yea you would only get integrated graphics with an ultrabook, so you would be limited to a HD 4000 gpu. The cpu on the ultrabooks are alright though. You can get up to a i7 dual core. Im using a sony vaio t with a i5 right now and its not too shabby.

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hum, I suppose it would be better to go with Win 8 as it's the most recent but I wouldn't mind that much either way. I'm still using Win 7 on my desktop and it's fine with me.