Question What are your favorite password managers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Hey folks,

While nothing on the market yet is able to give you total immunity from security breaches, there are some very commonly discussed measures we can all take to be as safe as possible.

Having very complicated passwords is one way to protect your accounts, but it's impossible to memorize random strings of characters that are also unique for each site. Thus, the rise of password managers.

What password manager are you using and why?

Hopefully some folks who haven't yet discovered the joy of password managers may find reasons here to take the plunge. Personally, I've used LastPass and 1Password. Both worked great for my needs, but I swapped over to 1Password exclusively last year since I was having trouble getting LastPass to populated passwords into sites via my smartphone.

We'd love to get your thoughts on password managers, so chime in and share your knowledge!

Oct 26, 2020
so instead of password, it need to store a file.
so no mobile device either.

yes, it is only storing a local file that not contain your passwords inside.
even after creating new passwords and using for months, file size and shape remained the same (well reverse engineering is prohibited with that but this is only the thing i know about)

no, this is down side of this program, there is no mobile app.
it is okay for me because i don't need to enter passwords so often on mobile.

maybe it is because this program is not connecting with any server when it is working (tested).
so this user file is not going around internet and there is no way to online synchronization with a mobile app.

this maybe a negative for some, but it is okay for me.

Oct 26, 2020
keep of funny. to keep the file safe you probably going to put it online and if you forgot the password, can't access it.

better not forget your master password or user file because there is no person/company to recover you from that.

which is positive for me.
i have strongest password ever i can remember and easy keywords wich protected by that strong master password.

it is way better than having the same password for every online account.

also if you want more security you can make it harder keywords.
i've read people building keyword structures for this thing.
they combining account's name "tomsguide" with some extra strings at the end of it.
i.e. "tomsguideDiarroAmarotti"

to remember to change passwords periodically they using "tomsguide10/2020"

Nov 17, 2020
I used LastPass for years until now. they recently discoutinued their Windows Desktop app that ran as a desktop service and allowed me to use a shortcut key to enter my credentials into one of the dozens of desktop applications I support for my clients. Two factor hardware authentication was nice too. But it is no longer a productivity tool for me... shopping!

Dec 27, 2020
Hey folks,

While nothing on the market yet is able to give you total immunity from security breaches, there are some very commonly discussed measures we can all take to be as safe as possible.

Having very complicated passwords is one way to protect your accounts, but it's impossible to memorize random strings of characters that are also unique for each site. Thus, the rise of password managers.

What password manager are you using and why?

Hopefully some folks who haven't yet discovered the joy of password managers may find reasons here to take the plunge. Personally, I've used LastPass and 1Password. Both worked great for my needs, but I swapped over to 1Password exclusively last year since I was having trouble getting LastPass to populated passwords into sites via my smartphone.

We'd love to get your thoughts on password managers, so chime in and share your knowledge!
I've been using LastPass for years and recently started a trial for Family. But the one huge problem with LastPass is worse now. When logging into a browser that has an old version of the a site password, LastPass will sometimes, (too often!) replace the current password entry (NOTES AND ALL) with the information on the old browser session. It SEEMS that changes are not getting pushed out to all active sessions and/or TimeStamps are not right.

From, what I can tell, WINDOWS will hold bad data (OLD DATA) and override the account entry. Synching to mobile (iPhone) has a similar problem sometimes. OMG I can't tell you how this drives me nuts! I go through the effort of protecting an account by changing the password and could spend an hour recovering the account because LastPass has OLD DATA. Furthermore, the "Password History" is blank across all my sites, except when a problem occurs, where the fist entry in the password history is the OLD DATA and there is no trace of what the data should be. Sickeningly, I keep a paper trail of changes I make just because of this.

In addition to all that, corruptions occur. These are unrecoverable. You need to delete the site entry and recreate it manually.

I would consider 1Password but here's the thing about paid accounts, People die. Credit cards run into trouble, How do you succession plan when the data is not recoverable? I liked LastPass reverting to Free if unpaid. I'll be looking at alternatives. Sigh.

spinozaTOM

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
I switched over to MYKI last year or so, when Lastpass raised prices. It works very well and does not have a subscription plan for personal users (but does for teams/groups). There is a one time fee for extra features (like $10). Anyway, it's a little more technical to setup, but not that hard to figure out for computer people. And passwords are stored locally, not in the "cloud".

The UI is very modern and not clunky. Syncing between devices has worked well, if I update a password on PC, it shows up on the app on my phone.

It's not perfect, but neither was the old service I used. It doesn't work with every browser (yet), and autofill on ipad and iphone does not always work, but it's primary function of securely remembering and storing hundreds of passwords that can sync between devices remains stellar.