What Burning Hot Laptops Can Do to Your Legs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i understand how stupid this seems but i live in phoenix and a 116 degree weather is not that uncommon. hell we reached that temperature last week. And when i lived in ny i used to use the heat output from my laptop to keep my legs warm. sometimes it would burn some but when you keep your house at 65 degrees it feels good. when i think about how long i would let my body cook in front of the wood stove to keep warm growing up i am surprised this did not happen to me. I used to sleep on top of the heater vents and i know they must be at least that hot. it all seems kinda weird to me

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
another case of "he's holding it wrong" wonder if that's what jobs would say to this kid too. it probably wasn't an ipad/imac/iphone as the 10 year old technology used in them has still yet to reach geforce mx440 & heat temps and they are engineered to run for 10 hours battery life instead of play super mario brothers.

what ever he was doing he sure wore his knees down, look at that floor burn! must have been an imac, only way his knees would look like that is all the subservient praying apple fan boi's offer up to his JOBSness.

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I knew we shouldn't put Fermi in laptops![/citation]
Should change the name to Frymi for the laptop edition.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I knew that playing World of Warcraft on your laptop is addictive, but at the expense of ones legs... wow, addicts will stop at nothing for their next purple epic fix!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]A lot of you calling this 12 year old child an idiot are vastly overestimating how hot 125 degrees feels. That really isn't very hot. Not nearly hot enough for me to worry about being burned. This was the point of the article. It's not hot enough to cause physical pain or burn your skin but if you are in constant contact with it for several hours a day over the course of several months it CAN damage your skin, slowly.[/citation]

Seeing the rarity of this "incident" it appears to be a people problem. Perhaps he should quit playing WoW (gaming makes laptops hot) and put some damn lotion on his knees.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
my 3 year old laptop gets up to 100*C according to a coretemp program. And yea its hot on my lap so i move it when it gets uncomfortable. But come on.

Last thing we need is more fear mongering and regulation over laptop safety.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Ok folks little Anatomy 101. Human body is mostly made of what? You guessed it water! While at first it might not look or feel like a burn, long exposure to higher temperature will cause cells to deteriorate eventually because they did not have enough time to regenerate from damage.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
One would think that by the time someone was feeling pain they would have figured out that the laptop should be...you know...moved off their legs. No Sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.