Solved! What causes apps to constantly reload almost every 5-10 SECONDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
I’ve got an iPad, not the latest vintage but serviceable. I keep the ios up to date. I spend a lot of time reading news on New York Times, Washington Post, etc. Lately (past couple months) many of those apps and other photo-heavy news type apps seem to almost constantly try to reload themselves. Probably refreshing their obnoxious embedded ads.

Is there some generic Apple iPad setting I need to tweak to stop it? Or can’t I? I’ve turned off all background app refresh settings. Anything else to try? It’s becoming more than merely annoying trying to read a page and the ****thing won’t hold still long enough for me to finish the SENTENCE I’m trying to read!😡😡😡

Solution
Hi. Thx for helping.

The app that aggravates me the most is the New York Times. The content they send is very ad-heavy and very video-heavy and IT is constantly updating its articles. Sort of its own version of the obnoxious “breaking news” crawler constantly on the bottom of my CNN or MSNBC screen!😡 So it may be the culprit. But I digress.

I did delete and reload its app but that didn’t help much. Mostly what helps sometimes is clearing data in settings/safari. I’ve had some luck also with a hard reboot of the entire iPad.

I’ve turned off all background app refresh settings since it appeared that that’s what’s happening. That has

Ironically this page did it also, before it even stabilized long enough for me to read your...

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Hi. Thx for helping.

The app that aggravates me the most is the New York Times. The content they send is very ad-heavy and very video-heavy and IT is constantly updating its articles. Sort of its own version of the obnoxious “breaking news” crawler constantly on the bottom of my CNN or MSNBC screen!😡 So it may be the culprit. But I digress.

I did delete and reload its app but that didn’t help much. Mostly what helps sometimes is clearing data in settings/safari. I’ve had some luck also with a hard reboot of the entire iPad.

I’ve turned off all background app refresh settings since it appeared that that’s what’s happening. That has

Ironically this page did it also, before it even stabilized long enough for me to read your answer! And as it did that, I could tell that ads were coming and going across,the screen beteeen sections of the post I most wanted to read. So the video and ad content of the source may be the real problem.

My internet speed is a different hot button for me, so I won’t go there right now, except to say I have digital hard wired service from ATT and it tops out at about 5-5.5 Mbps. I’ve given up,trying to remedy that too, but for entirely different reasons than were discussing here.

Thx again.

Hi. Thx for helping.

Ironically this page did it also, before it even stabilized long enough for me to read your answer! And as it did that, I could tell that ads were coming and going across,the screen beteeen sections of the post I most wanted to read. So the video and ad content of the source may be the real problem.

My internet speed is a different hot button for me, so I won’t go there right now, except to say I have digital hard wired service from ATT and it tops out at about 5-5.5 Mbps. I’ve given up,trying to remedy that too, but for entirely different reasons than were discussing here.

Thx again.

Slow internet speeds would cause web page content to load slowly. Also pages not very well built for mobile device use would have issues with things popping up and getting in the way of the content.
It's not probably an issue directly having to do with the iPad but rather your slower connection and the sites you are going to.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.