What do I buy with my HD598?

EagleOD1

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
So I feel like I need a new pair of headphones. After lookong around for a while, I found the HD598. And I want to use it for two things: gaming (pinpointing the footsteps of others) and listening to some music with some bass. Now I know that the HD598 isn't really made for bass but the DAC/amp I was looking in to had a bass boost button. But then, what about the gaming part where I want to know if it's coming from here or there (surround sound): the headphones are stereo and so far with stereo headphones I currently own, I can't tell is it's right back or right front, etc... And so it seems like I need a sound card but now I'm confused do I buy a DAC or the soundcard or am I doing it all wrong?

Thank you.

Solution
what he means about where audio is coming from would be soundstage, positional accuracy or virtual surround.

the hd598 has decent soundstage. not the best but not poor either. it also has good enough positional accuracy.

as far as virtual surround - you wont get that with an external dac. you could use razers virtual surround for that with a dac but getting a soundcard which supports it would be better.

keep in mind that bass levels are relative. some people are perfectly happy with the bass levels on neutral headphones like the hd598 while others prefer bassier cans. take what you hear with a grain of salt as just because someone else doesnt care for a product you may love it. this is why i always make comparisions and explain my...

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
I also own the HD598's and I would just like to say right off the bat, these are not meant for bass nor should they be. In fact bass boosting the headphones can make them sound worse in certain cases. I am a little confused as to what you are saying about the stereo headphones but I currently have no issues with determining where footsteps are originating. Lastly the part of the AMP/Dac, if you have a decent mobo sound shouldn't really be a problem, and there really is no need for an AMP due to the fact the HD598's are relatively easy to run.

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Just to clarify the part of the bass, the 598's are open ear headphones so bass really isn't that pronounced and all bass boosting will do will [watch your lauguage] with the treble mids and highs, the 598's work best (As I have found) with Rock/metal, classical, and acoustic(Classical and acoustic are very nice due to the large sound stage). Some genres that may not sound so great will include, rap, electric, and really any bass heavy music.

EagleOD1

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

Alright, I have gone with the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm now, just looking for a good DAC/amp, I asked on tomsguide.com.
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3120318/amp-dac-sound-card-990.html
Would appreciate if you knew a thing.

what he means about where audio is coming from would be soundstage, positional accuracy or virtual surround.

the hd598 has decent soundstage. not the best but not poor either. it also has good enough positional accuracy.

as far as virtual surround - you wont get that with an external dac. you could use razers virtual surround for that with a dac but getting a soundcard which supports it would be better.

keep in mind that bass levels are relative. some people are perfectly happy with the bass levels on neutral headphones like the hd598 while others prefer bassier cans. take what you hear with a grain of salt as just because someone else doesnt care for a product you may love it. this is why i always make comparisions and explain my suggestions in detail to avoid said confusion. listening firsthand however is the best.

bass boosting can certainly sound good in some cases without screwing up mids and treble. you can do this via equalizers or in some cases an onboard function on dac/amps. i use eq very often and depending on the scenario its perfectly fine.

i'll respond in your other thread as well but i would suggest reading some other posts i've made here as they tend to be in depth.

Solution