What do you think of Sennheiser HD 559

Jul 23, 2018
Hello my old pair of headsets broke and I need a new one what do you think of Sennheiser HD 559 I found them on sale at 85$ .I'm gonna use them to play FPS games . I can get hyperx cloud 2 at the same price+-20$.What do you think i should buy.

Solution
not "will" but "could" with high possibility for all headphones above 32 Ohm.
Some boards do better then the others.
I would try using the on-board sound first and if the sound quality and/or loudness is really bad then buy something to make it better.
It is best to try first before spending more money.
Jul 23, 2018

Currently i have an asus rog gl 552 vx laptop

guanyu210379

Distinguished
HD 559 is a 50 Ohm headphone.
Most of on-board soundcard will not be strong enough to push it properly but you can try using your on-board soundcard.
If it can not go loud enough for you, you can then consider getting an extra soundcard or DAC with proper power.

Jul 23, 2018

It doesn't need to go too loud ,I'm gonna buy a new pc in few months just waiting for GPU prices to go down,so i might get a DAC than. btw any ideea how good the HD 559 are at hearing footsteps and how realistic the sound is in video games.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
No only about loudness.
If the amp part is not strong enough, certain frequencies might perhaps already un-hearable.

I have the HD559 should be good for gaming too. Yes, I do not have any experience with it but it should not be that far different to my HD599.

Jul 23, 2018

So i can use them without an amp only the sound quality will be a bit worse.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
not "will" but "could" with high possibility for all headphones above 32 Ohm.
Some boards do better then the others.
I would try using the on-board sound first and if the sound quality and/or loudness is really bad then buy something to make it better.
It is best to try first before spending more money.

Solution