What headset should i get for gaming

dirkvs

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I hope you guys can help me finding a new headset. I've read a lot of forums but they all say something else.

I only need the headset for gaming. I would like to get a wireless headset with a 12+m range, unless they really sound a lot worse than wired headsets. If non-gaming headphones are better, I can buy those with a separate microphone. I think I would like a virtual surround sound headset, but I don't know whether or not you really hear a difference between a normal and a surround sound headset. I would like to hear your thoughts on that. If dedicated soundcards make a real difference with sound for a mobo, I might want to buy one. I would like to keep it under €200,- but if necessary, I'm willing to pay somewhat over €250,-

I hope some of you can help me find the ideal headset.

Solution

Well that's a different question... Gaming headsets have microphones hence "headsets" which is their primary purpose and yes virtual surround sound is definitely noticeable in games especially shooters it can be handy if it is accurate. The Logitech's seem like great headsets, my only other recommendations would be to check out the Corsair VOID, Kingston HyperX Cloud II and Sennheiser Game Zeros. They all have excellent reviews behind them.

To answer your question on the dedicated sound card. You probably won't notice the difference unless your onboard sound card is pretty bad/old but...
My son had a $355set of Sennhesiers which he loved. But he's tall and they are comfortable enough that you forget you are wearing them. so when he stood up, he's rip the wired headset off his head which eventually led to the wire pulling out of the Headset. He sent them in for repair and in the "meantime" purchased a Logitect G930. The Senn's have since come back all fixed but he uses the G930 for gaming and the Senns just sit there. The G930 has been replaced in Logitech's model line with the G933 (MSRP $200) / G633 (MSRP $150), but there's plenty of G930s still on the shelves and are significantly discounted. ($70)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/DMLypg/logitech-headphones-981000257

dirkvs

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
So you think a gaming headset is better than normal headphones? I'm considering buying the artemis g933, because it has a decent wireless range.

CRO5513Y

Prominent
Herald
Mar 15, 2017

Well that's a different question... Gaming headsets have microphones hence "headsets" which is their primary purpose and yes virtual surround sound is definitely noticeable in games especially shooters it can be handy if it is accurate. The Logitech's seem like great headsets, my only other recommendations would be to check out the Corsair VOID, Kingston HyperX Cloud II and Sennheiser Game Zeros. They all have excellent reviews behind them.

To answer your question on the dedicated sound card. You probably won't notice the difference unless your onboard sound card is pretty bad/old but most modern boards especially higher end ones or Gaming focused boards have excellent onboard sound cards that will sound great with any headset. I wouldn't bother with spending loads on a sound card if any at all unless you were running some nice desktop speakers or had a Motherboard with terrible onboard sound. Hope this helps :)

Solution