what is going on with the chrome browser

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
has anyone been having any issues with the chrome browser? the last week or so, i get tons of this site is not private. and if i click on the link in this warning chrome brings up a huge red box. i'm leaning on my modem as the fault because if i use the phone as my hotspot i do not have any issues at all. but it just may be that google is having issues and the chrome browser is getting tons of this site is not safe warnings.

the funny thing is sometimes if i leave that tab up then all of a sudden the site i was trying to get to just pops up. and sometimes if i open another tab and click on that same bookmark the site just opens up fine.

i can just about bank on willmyphonework site to pop up with that warning every time. and then 5 minutes later i can get to it.

the netgear forum and the norton site have no ideas. i thought it was the norton security and i removed it and put windows back on but i still get these warnings.

also a lot of times i get the xfinity page that tells me to reset my modem. and then 5 minutes later that will go away.

i'm using the netgear c3700 100nas combo unit, and even comcast in doing some troubleshooting was telling me they could see it intermittently so that kind of tells me the modem is going bad.

however it just may be chrome is having issues and between that and my modem i'm just having fits. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
thanks. i'm wondering if my modem is going bad and giving my all these warnings? if i logon with the wife's phone (i do not have one) then i can do everything just fine. it seems i'm getting tons of errors, but it is hard to tell if it is the modem or that my info is bad. or i have a virus on my pc. the wife gets this also but she may have got a virus just by being on the same lan as me.

i ran the windows virus scanner they give you every month and it found one and clear it. plus i have unchecked that box in the modems wan settings that talk about Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection it seems when yo do a factory reset this gets chacked and in researching it on the net gear site, one person said to un check it. most talked about disabling that but they did say if the box needs to be checked to disable it or not checked to disable it.

about every 3rd search or bookmark request i get this page is not safe and then sometimes it just goes thru and sometimes it will set there.

so just to test this theory i started up a pc that has not run in a few years. and when i got online after all the updates i still got that message on half the sites i tried. i had my pc unplugged from the internet and not online and the wife's pc was off. so if i have a virus more then likely it is in the modem, if they can get viruses. so if no one else seems to be getting this then i just may be my modem has failed. it sure takes a long time when i have to reboot it for any changes i make. this last time it took over an hour.

so if anyone here has ideas let me know please. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i got the new modem connected up and so far it is doing what it should. so far i have not had any this site is not safe warnings. and all my devices connected up the the internet without giving me the message that i had to go to the internet to sign in. so if i have anymore issues i will report back. if not then no news will be good news. i even had a few not secure warning in the left of the browser and it still went thru. and now my magic jack is again working. it did not work all week. so the other modem was not letting stuff get thru.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok it has been just about 4 days now and so far i have not had anymore of those this site is not safe. so i'm leaning to a bad modem, being i got this warning just after o was testing some breakers in my service panel trying to get a generator safety switch set up. however this doesn't mean that those were not true warnings or for some reason google figured all my bookmarks were not safe, even though they all have the green check next to them.

so for now i believe i will call this fixed. i have to say though i got the c7000 netgear modem and even though it is newer it seems to be not as fast. the c3700 netgear modem held to 100mbps or more this one has a hard time getting to 90mbps and most of the time if is 30 to 40mbps. can't say i'm impressed with the new one. but at least for the time being i have not had anymore of those this site is not safe warnings. thanks

MDTOP

Great
Jun 6, 2019
I'm getting those, I've chalked it up to the website is redirecting to an Ad. I close the warning and my page is there. (using add blockers and not accepting cookies)

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i replaced my modem and it went away. but i also had some issues with the modem. it was not connecting good and had lots of security issues going on. as soon as the new to me modem got hooked up with comcast all this went away. hope you get your figured out. thanks