What is KMSAutoS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I bought a PC today (it came with Windows 10 Home). When I scanned it with Windows Defender I noticed that there is an exclusion for KMSAutoS. It's located in C:\ProgramData\KMSAutoS. Is it harmful? Where is it from?
Thank you!

Solution
Here is a link to an article describing how to extract your product key using the software "ProduKey". I don't know if Microsoft has a record of who they originally sold Product Keys to, but if you contact them, they would probably be interested in the Product Key on your computer:

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-find-windows-10-product-key-3632749/

I can't vouch for the software, I just learned about it from the linked article. Perhaps there are other ways to extract the product key.

Colif

Distinguished
If they used that program, then it resets the activation stuff on his PC so it thinks he is registered, and its already possible to install win 10 without a licence so he may never have know he had no key until if MS decides in the future to act on all the people running Win 10 unactivated. I would think they would have a way to know.

If that is the case, they charged him for Win 10 and got it for free themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.