What is my G40-80 laptop worth

Alvin_M

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
It is an upgraded Lenovo G40-80 which i have used only for two months and is in perfect conditions. It was bought in Dubai so it also has arabian letters on the keys aside normal ones, maybe I'll change the keyboard. According to GadgetValue it is worth around $1250.
Specs:
1. i5 5200U 2.2-2.7Ghz
2. 12GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1600mhz) Ram
3. 480GB SSD SanDisk Extreme Pro
4. Intel HD Graphics 5500 plus discrete graphics card AMD Radeon R5 M330
5. Windows 10 Home 64 though came preloaded with Windows 8.1
6. 14.0" HD LED Glossy (1366x768)
7. 1xUSB 3.0 2xUSB 2.0
8. HDMI-out
9. Audio Combo Jack
10. 2-in-1 (SD / MMC) card reader
11. Bluetooth Version 4.0
12. 720p / 0.3M Webcam
13. 4 Cell 32 Watt Hour Li-Cylindrical
14. Weights 2kg or 4.6lbs

Alvin_M

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016

The ones that are OUT OF STOCK (as long as they are out of stock it increases the value a bit) have some cheap Celeron CPU while mine has a 5th Gen i5 which costs around $200 more, so, mine has also better integrated graphics AND has a discrete graphics card which is very hard to find these days. It's my fault for not expressing well the question because i already know it's worth way more than $1200. I just wanted to know how easily I can get $1300. The RAM you have chosen is incorrect because I don't have three RAM slots and it came with only 6GB (4+2) RAM. I swapped the 2GB card with an 8GB one which is around $50.

Wow. They must really gouge folks price-wise in your country for laptops. Ouch. That'd be worth maybe $750-800USD here in the 'States. That may even be a tad high due to the low-rez display.

I'd say $600 used since it's still in warranty, only issue is that if you bought it in a different country that you are selling it in the warranty may be invalid or very tough to work with. They would want you to send the laptop to the warranty center in the country it was bought in. There is no way it's worth more than $1,200 like you say, quite a bit less. Put it on ebay for 1,200 and see what happens. I doubt you will get any bids at all unless you start at $600, even then it's a bit iffy. This is a new G40-80 with an i5 for under $500 new http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-G40-80-14-Core-i5-5200U-2-7GHz-8GB-Ram-1TB-HD-BT-Windows-8-1-80E400H6US-/252228552476?hash=item3ab9fe471c:g:cJEAAOSwiLdWBesN

Another 4 gig of RAM and a solid state drive is not going to add over $500 to that price.

Alvin_M

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016

I wasn't being rude. All I was saying is that it seems laptops are expensive there. Next time try and not be that sensitive over nothing. :D

P.S. And for what it's worth, that Thinkpad is a much better built machine meant for professional/business use. Much higher grade than your average consumer line Lenovo laptop.

You are free to put up whatever price you want for your laptop, if it sells, great. There is no sense arguing with peoples opinions, especially from those that actually know the market. I remember when Flappy Birds went off the market, people were posting their $100 Android phones for $500 because they had Flappy Birds installed, then were arguing when I pointed out that they were all silly when you can download the APK easily and there were tons of clones of the game out. I even offered to all of them to buy my Android phone with Flappy Birds for only $250, then they can sell it for $500 they say they can get so easily. For some reason not a single one of them wanted to make an easy $250 that way when it actually came down to it because they knew that there was pretty much 0 chance they'd get their asking price.

You can't compare a Lenovo T model (especially an "s" which is a bit more than the standard ones) and a G40. It's like comparing a Lexus and a Toyota. Both have 4 doors and a similar engine, but price is not similar. T series have a longer warranty (every single one I have seen has been 3 years), better built chassis with bracing and are made for long term business use with excellent driver support for even older models. Lenovo consumer models like yours are a 1 yr warranty standard and are not made to the same standards of case quality. The guts may be similar but the build and support is not.

Well, your laptop is definitely not worth $1,250... at least not in the US.

There is nothing about the laptop that stands out compared to other budget laptops sold in the US other than the 480GB Sandisk SSD Extreme Pro which is costs $200 when purchased new, but deals do pop up every now and then. I think I may have seen it as low as $175 in the recent past.

Most budget laptops only come with 4GB of RAM. You have 12GB of RAM in your laptop. But RAM is pretty inexpensive; an 8GB stick of RAM for laptops in the US generally costs between $35 - $45 depending on the brand and the specs.

Since you are selling the laptop outside the of the country you bought it from, the warranty is invalid. Also, Lenovo does not allow you to transfer the warranty to a second hand buyer, even in the country in which you bought in. That devalues the value of the laptop because if something breaks, then the "new" owner needs to fit it himself / herself or buy a new laptop. That probably decreases the value of the laptop by about $75 - $100.

The value of a new base model Lenovo G40-80 is probably $500 in the US. Taking everything into consideration your laptop worth around $650 - $675 at best.

For $1,250 you can buy a new laptop with a quad core i7-6700HQ CPU, 1080p or 4k resolution screen and a GTX 970m GPU in the US.