What is Plex? Everything you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Marshall, why did you leave out the huge issue from your article that prevents me and an enormous number of individuals from using Plex? I have amassed a large personal library by ripping my own DVDs and also adding numerous videos I have made. All in ready to watch formats that I can see on my computer all day without problems. I can also watch them from the hard drive(s) I plug into my Oppo DVD player. They just play and there are n no issues. Plex makes that impossible because Plex INSISTS that the movies/videos be transcoded by the Plex software. From formats that ALREADY PLAY to a format that will also... play. Can't turn it off. Can't disable it. It (force) transcodes EVERYTHING. ALL THE TIME. So I get interruptions and buffering. This makes the software unusable if I simply want to see the movie. This issue is all over the internet and on forums. Why won't Plex FIX the issue and allow it to be disabled rather than force transcoding of everything? And why didn't you mention it?

Reactions: Kingwhoser

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
What you said isn't correct, I have devices that direct play all the time. It all depends on what the client supports and what format your source material is in. If the client doesn't support the source, plex will transcode it to a version that it supports...

Sep 26, 2020
Plex is a great app if you want to be prompted three times with the same username & password to log in then it says 'Sorry there is a problem with your log in'. Then you delete Plex then reinstall it with a different username and the same issue happened. Finally I got in.
It's great app if you want to be inundated with so many options that you have to learn and remember what they do.
It's great app if you want it to shove crap in your face you in various screens that you find annoying and will never use.
It's great app if you want convoluted options that you may not want but cannot delete or hide. Just trying to get it to consistently show all your videos & songs in a list rather than in tile mode is a PITA.
It's great app if you want Plex to reset everything back to default, after you've spent a lot of time customizing your screens.
It's great app if you like it to display stand alone movies in the folders of certain TV Shows that you have all the episodes saved for. But when you view those movies in Windows Explorer they ARE in their own folder.
I'm going back to my 'never fails me' Raspberry Pi with OSMC installed that I simply attach to the back of my flatscreen TV (thru HDMI) 3) with double stick velcro tape and completely controllable with an OSMC proprietary remote control.
Copy all the various format movies and OSMC play them without an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.