What Is Sling TV Online Streaming Video?

davidjcu

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
Just got mine this week. Its so awesome. I can enjoy the cable channels I watch the most without paying an arm and a leg for a bunch of channels that I never watch.

Scott Curtis

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Lack of DVR features is bad, but maybe somewhat forgivable at the price point. I say maybe, because I can subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Plus for less money than this. Lack of multi-stream support is simply unforgivable and stupid. I have ZERO interest in any service that is single-stream only. Why should I? That is far more restrictive than any streaming or cable package out there. Overall, I think this is a stupidly designed product in its current form.

bz8nb1

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I went from having a high cable bill to having a high internet bill with data usage caps

Mike_362

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
No ability to fast forward, 18 minutes of commercials per show, and their app design is terrible.

DeltaLady1946

Prominent
May 11, 2017
As soon as they let me RECORD shows on my TV - I'll subscribe, but not until we can "capture/save" them for future viewing. How much longer do we have to wait???

DeltaLady1946

Prominent
May 11, 2017
You said we must have BETA and we do have Roku3, so we apparently have it, but how do we find out but more importantly, HOW do we use it to SAVE shows on Sling TV???

carlsteve

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I tried Sling for a month on a Windows computer, and I promptly cancelled after that month. While watching a program, the transmission would stop and the following error message would appear on my computer monitor: "Due to inactivity, playback was stopped to save bandwidth." It took several e-mails to Sling tech support before I received a satisfactory explanation of the problem. They replied with "There is no way currently to remove the "inactivity" trigger (outside of pressing a button on your remote every once in a while)."

Essentially, the interrupted transmission meant that I was being punished for watching extended-length programs (3 hours or longer). That limitation resulted in many programs (e.g., most sporting events, live coverage of breaking news stories, epic-length movies, etc.) being cut off before the end. Since I was using Sling on a computer, pressing a button on a remote occasionally wasn't an option. In addition to the technical problems, there was no DVR feature on Sling at that time.

PlayStation Vue is a better value. I get over 90 channels which includes a greater number of news channels, sports channels, movie channels, HBO, Showtime, and many other popular cable channels. I also get on-demand shows from the 3 broadcast networks: ABC, Fox, and NBC. In addition, I get the CBS affiliate in my area, which includes local and network programming. The DVR feature is free, and the number of programs you can save is virtually unlimited. Vue can be used on up to 5 devices at once (a PlayStation game console is not required). The total cost is $54.99 per month (varies by market). That will increase by $10 when the introductory offer for HBO/Showtime expires after the first year.

oOoYTSEJAMoOo

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
I see that Sling TV is on the list of Single Sign On Providers in Apple TV. Will subscribing to Sling TV give me access to the respective apps available through Apple TV? Meaning, if I subscribe will I also be able to log into the CNN app, Discovery app, etc. using the Sling TV login?

Has anyone tried this? I tried Sling pre-SSO and it was terrible. But, I would revisit if it gave me access to all of the individual apps respective to the channel line up that I purchase.

da_bopper_9

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I looked into Sling TV and will not be purchasing. Sling TV is advertised as "a la carte TV" but it is the exact opposite. You cannot order individual channels.....just like current cable / dish programming you have to buy channels in groupings (as the article mentioned Orange (more ABC channels) / Blue (more FOX channels) / Extra (Hallmark, etc). I don't think the executives at Sling TV (Dish Network) understand the definition of a la carte. When Sling TV allows you to pick just the channels you want, e.g. $1.90 a month for FOX Business, then it will be worth the money. In its current version, Sling TV is just cable TV light......not worth it. In today's litigious world, I'm surprised a lawyer hasn't brought a class action suit against Sling TV for advertising as a la carte when it is quite the opposite.

patdanmehlman

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I see that people complain about not having certain channels. Don't they realize that would cost sling more money after negotiating with those networks and the cost would have to be passed along? The cable companies have people brainwashed that they need these channels. You have to let go and rethink what you really need! You need to realize that you don't need all these channels and start focusing on doing other activities and watching fewer channels . Just give yourselves time to adjust and you will be surprised.

Feb 7, 2018
i was thinking about getting sling is it worth the money or should i just stick to cable i love watching the movie channels such as tcm lifetime wetv ect. carttoon net work for the grand kids as well and watch the news as well i need input on this

Feb 7, 2018
so i was considering getting sling tv what channels are available on ale carte do you have to pay as you go or what cause i like watching movie channels but i like to watch the news as well

Jul 24, 2018
i see sling tv's orange and blue packages got rid of the overabundance of spanish channels, but there's way too many news and sports channels. i'm waiting for a company to offer TRUE ala carte tv, where customers can create their own channel line up. completely.