What is the best free drive cloning software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevydinho

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Tomorrow I'll be going from my current config (120GB SSD Boot disk, 320GB SATA 2 Games Disk), to a new config (64GB SSD Boot Disk, 120GB SSD Games Disk).

In other words, I need to clone the 40GB worth of Windows files and applications from my 120GB 840 EVO to my 64GB SanDisk Ultra Plus that arrives tomorrow. After that I'll clone the 80GB of games from my HDD to my 120GB SSD (or I could just reinstall steam and all my games).

So, just wondering, what's the best free cloning software? I'm looking fro something reliable and user friendly. Cheers :D

bboyes

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
FYI Paragon Free does not allow cloning, only backup. The cloning must be "unlocked" for the discount price of $40.

Macrium will not clone to a smaller disk.

I have Win10 Pro (nothing else installed) on a new system with a 512 GB HDD; I want to move to a 128GB SSD. This should be possible but not with either of these two programs, and not even to a disk of similar size with Paragon Free.

4denise

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Can you use the Windows tools to shrink the partition? If you can shrink it to an acceptable size, then Macrium will work.

bboyes

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

Ostheer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Actually Macrium does support cloning to a smaller disk.

1. You have to make an image of the old drive
2. Under the 'Restore' tab in Macrium Reflect, go to 'Browse for an image or backup file to restore'
3. Select the correct image (*.mrimg) file, and click 'Restore Image'.

Now you get a window which at the top displays the partitions in the image file, and at the bottom it displays the new disk.
Just dragging all partition won't work, because that doesn't fit, but If you drag them one by one, you can for each partition change its size. If you adjust this according to the disk size, you can fit all partitions of the old drive on the newer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.