Discussion What is the best Tax Software - Tips and Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Member Tips & Software Recommendations for Getting the Most Back from your Tax Refund!

The dreaded tax season is almost over! Have you paid your taxes yet? While no one likes to file taxes, we all have to do it. We're collecting all of your tax tips to get the most money back from your tax refund. We recently did a round up of the Best Tax Software 2019 to help with everyone's least favorite responsibility. How did you fair? Did you get a big honking, tax refund, or a mere pittance compared to last year.
  • What's your go to method when filing taxes?
  • Do you do it online or in person? Do you use TaxAct or TurboTax? Is it better to go in person to H&R Block, or Jackson Hewitt? What about deductibles? What can you add to your itemized deductibles?
  • Can you take off the laptop you purchased for school? How about the computer you use at home for work?
Give us your expert opinions, tips, and recommendations and help others keep their hard earned money.

Last edited:

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
As a remote worker, I feel quite burned this tax season. Freelance and remote employees in general seem to be hit hard: we're no longer able to deduct our home office payments from the tax bill, nor are we allowed to deduct any work tools such as the computer or what not. For what it's worth, I used Tax Slayer. Great online service, but I don't think it saved me too much. This year I bit the bullet and did what I could to reduce my taxes owed, but unfortunately I was unable to save anything at all.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
I try to keep my deductions to a minimum so i keep the most money possible from each check. Last year I owed about $4 at the end of the year. This year I ran my taxes through the free versions of a couple different online services (TurboxTax and H&R Block) just to see if they came up with different numbers (they didn't).

I tried seeing how it would be different by digging into the paid versions, but the numbers stayed the same again due to the changes in tax law. In the end I went with the free version of TurboTax since I used it last year and that just made the process a tiny bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.