What is the current concensus on antivirus?

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
I'm looking at BitDefender and Avast. Any comments on the free versions?

Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else. :wink:

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
There is no consensus, you will get recommendations for all of them. I use Avast and like the way it works.

....WW (5.1)

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
They're all over rated and expensive.

I use McAfee Enterprise edition which works great, but it's expensive and really only used in companies.

Norton is a hog.. the ones you can buy off the shelf in the stores are commercialized and idiot proof, but make you an idiot and screw your computer up.

Panda Antivirus is really good and well priced.

www.pandasoftware.com

You won't be disappointed by them.

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
another vote for avast; because its free...

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Is Avast Free significantly superior to AVG Free? Because if so I'll probably switch.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=21597#p21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
i really couldnt tell ya, bud. i have never used avg free. sorry man

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying out Avast and liking it so far.

Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else. :wink:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
YOu got one more vote for PANDA.

I have been using panda for about 3yrs now? yea about 3 yrs now and i love the firewall that's built in to the older verision the platinum 7 version. Now it's Changed and i No longer have it.

I currently been using Adaware, Pest Patrol (very nice app) AVAST, and Zone Alarm all at once and my PC has been pretty stable. scan each of those apps once a day sometimes more.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Should still be there... I'm using Platinum Internet Security and I still have the firewall. Even the Titanium version comes with the firewall now.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Jake_Barnes

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Is Avast Free significantly superior to AVG Free? Because if so I'll probably switch.
I used to use AVG ... was a good free AV, but was constantly having problems with it's "free" update server (doesn't seem to be any issues with the paid version) ... so I switched to Avast and have NO PROBLEMS with updates ... I think they both rate about the same in comparative reviews (at least the last time I read any).

But opinions on AV programs will be all across the board ... but I like the "price" of Avast (and haven't had a single issue since I've used it).

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
Yes me too...
Avg gives me update problem frequently and has
sometimes trouble finding a connection to the update server.
So i have to update manualy.
Pain and suffering... over a 56k

P4 530 asus p5gd1 O/C 3.3ghz
Dual Channel 1gb DDR400 3-3-3-8
Msi NX6600le MOD 8x1,3vp 375/533
and pushing on...-

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
The updating problems of AVG was the reason I gave it up also.

Avast has worked flawlessly for over two years.

I need to reformat my kids!
....WW (5.1)

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Can't say I've *ever* had problems updating with AVG, maybe I'm just lucky... I'll stick with it - it's done me proud.

A program that costs £40 or more has to be pretty fewkin good for me to switch from something that's free, and most of the time, no matter what type of software it is, I don't see the added value. Now, to figure out Linux....

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=21597#p21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

Jake_Barnes

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Avast is free ... and is more dependable (update-wise) than AVG ... but both are priced right.

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Better? Who is to say? I think there are too many variables when these things get tested such as release timing of updates etc. What is better one week could fall behind the next. Avast has been a very reliable program for me, and I have it on four different machines. Other than the reliable updating I also like the boot scan it will do before Windows loads.

Consider it a good alternative to the other programs out there.

I need to reformat my kids!
....WW (5.1)

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Also, for all of you cheapskates out there... look to see if you can find Panda OEM. It's dirt cheap (especially compared to Norton) and I like it better than Norton. I was able to get it for $15 CDN. (That wholesale, though... but I can't imagine it selling for more than $20 - $25)

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea well i used Panda Platinum 7 series for some time... untill my Subscription ran out. I was extremely used to the way there firewall worked, excellent program....

now the new version i tried the tiral version, the firewall is so crappy compareed to the old way, you can't set as many settings as you used to be able to

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"