What laptop can i best buy for a course gamedevelopment and a good gaming experience ?

Raynison

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hello everyone my name is Ray and this is my first ever post on tom's guide.Im in a bit of a pickle you see, i just graduated (yay) and nexy year im going to study gamedevelopment, but fo that i need a good gaming laptop since im gonna use it for that and gaming. I have been looking at alot of different ones but there were 2 that suited my needs: the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and the Lenovo Legion y520 laptop.I have been leaning towards the Dell but the thing is that i have been hearing bad things about the TN panel teh laptop has and it seems like a deal breaker ,but aside from that the laptop has a very good preformence for 1300 euros ( i live in holland btw) but the legion is also a good option.Could someone pls help me with this choice. I dont know if i should post the links, because the sites are all written in Dutch, but if anyone can help me or has a better reccomendation please let me know

thanks in advance

Solution
Well I would suggest a few things. If your doing rendering for gaming (Game development) then your looking for a machine with a Nvidia Quadro, which renders the graphics elements (the actual model, texture, space of the scene, etc.) but poorly performs on gaming. If you want a Gaming laptop then it will perform very badly for rendering when your doing gaming.

Further for such hefty work loads (unless you want rendering process to take HOURS to render one model) and hefty gaming (unless you want 20s-30s FPS) either case your normally looking at $2000-3000 for a laptop equivalent of a desktop which would run $1500-2000 instead. Again the type of video card makes a difference for performance as well.
Well I would suggest a few things. If your doing rendering for gaming (Game development) then your looking for a machine with a Nvidia Quadro, which renders the graphics elements (the actual model, texture, space of the scene, etc.) but poorly performs on gaming. If you want a Gaming laptop then it will perform very badly for rendering when your doing gaming.

Further for such hefty work loads (unless you want rendering process to take HOURS to render one model) and hefty gaming (unless you want 20s-30s FPS) either case your normally looking at $2000-3000 for a laptop equivalent of a desktop which would run $1500-2000 instead. Again the type of video card makes a difference for performance as well.

Solution