What Lawsuit? Pirates Still Sharing Hurt Locker

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Win Win Solution:

Movie Studios release ALL their movies for download at < $0.99
In store boxed copies sell for < $5.99

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
That's kind of funny. I rented it from Red Box for $1 and it was a great movie. I can't imagine wanting to bit torrent it when a redbox is at the Walgreen's and Albertsons on my way home. Instead of spending millions of their own money on lawyers, millions of tax payer dollars on the court system, and overall making a mockery of justice, they should be finding a way to make money off people who would rather download the movie.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
IMO whoever watch a pirated movie don't care enough about the movie to buy it. so the company don't really loose as many sale as they claim. I personally don't like pirated movies. I like quality, I didn't spend aprox. $7K in a theater room to watch low quality pirated movies. I really hate when somebody comes and tell me something like "I didn't really like that movie transformers, it was overrated" the I find out that he downloaded it, duhhhh!!!!!of course you are not going to like it. They spend millions in FX and you are watching a crapy compressed version with low quality sound.

Sharp 60" LCD 120hz, PS3 Blu-ray, Onkyo 7.2 1200w system.

elbert

Distinguished
Until the MPAA stops it cartel distribution and sales practices they will be in a hurt locker. Theaters being their establishment of common sales agencies currently have no advantage over the average home entertainment system. The first cartel member to cheat and allow a internet theater may well break the backs of all the cartel members. The damage being done by these very low quality rip offs are a sure sign of the fragile nature of this cartel.

sboults

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]IMO whoever watch a pirated movie don't care enough about the movie to buy it. so the company don't really loose as many sale as they claim. I personally don't like pirated movies. I like quality, I didn't spend aprox. $7K in a theater room to watch low quality pirated movies. I really hate when somebody comes and tell me something like "I didn't really like that movie transformers, it was overrated" the I find out that he downloaded it, duhhhh!!!!!of course you are not going to like it. They spend millions in FX and you are watching a crapy compressed version with low quality sound. Sharp 60" LCD 120hz, PS3 Blu-ray, Onkyo 7.2 1200w system.[/citation]

Can't believe you watch your films in that fake 120hz rubbish, it looks bloody awful!

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]atdhe[/nom]I don't know, of course it is not right to pirate a movie but it just 'feels' right, I mean, not in the sense that it's the right way but that it's not a bad thing, i don't know why. Maybe it's because when I pirate a movie, i usually watch it in my 15" Laptop or 19" Desktop Monitor, but if it is a very good movie, I'd gladly pay for it too see it on the big screen, it's just a totally different experience.Therefore, i just don't think filling Law Suits is the right way to stop piracy. I don't know which one is the right way, but this is definitely not because piracy IMO is just an evolutionary thing, which can't be fought though hindering and scaring piraters through Law Suits, they need to invent something that does the contrary, e.g something satisfying for which they'd be willing to spend money on. This IMO applies to the whole entertainment industry.[/citation]
Will you people stop calling it pirating already. It's not pirating it's called sharing. Pirating is what's done for profit, and those that wear eye patches and ride the high seas. I've shared movies and haven't profited once off of any. Pirating is a term used by the MPAA and RIAA and the rest of the goon squads that what to paint everyone under the same stroke, which of course we're not. I know I don't own or run a DVD/CD duplicating plant to sell on the streets, do you?

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
HATE HATE HATE HATE. really? awful? have you seen it? 1st of all it was the biggest I could afford at the time of purchase (that it wasn't plasma) Please delight me by telling me which better TV do you have. I pay 2k for mine back on December. BTW i have a 20' by 25' room so even a 60" kind of look small IMO. A HD projector is in my plan for the future. Oh!!! and FYI everybody that has been in my house like how everything looks. But I know there's always a hater.

zeroabg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
well with a trip to the movies for a family of 4 costing almost a hundred bucks these days, go suck it anti-pirates.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hey Hollywood! make GOOD movies and we will buy them. what happened to classics like dumb and dumber? Pulp Fiction? Hell Anchorman was worth 20$ When you hype up crap, we are intrigued, just not enough to spend 20$ on said crap. I finally saw transformers 2. :( megan fox needs to talk less and get naked more.

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I think of all the stuff I copied back in the 60's and 70's and gave it away. I taped programs off the air, albums to tapes, radio to tapes and so on. Never was this form of copyright infringment questioned. Now, we have digital copies that can do the same thing and faster. But the quality of art has deminished over the years. Where are the screenplay writers out there? The ones who wrote for Sid Ceasar, Dick Van a lovely person, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and 100's of others? I tell you were they went, reality shows--those cheap to produce--low IQ shows that low IQ people like to view and drool over.

Is everybody in? See where Im going? These producers, writers, etc..even though they produce crap, have a lot more money to lose than they did back in the days when you paid high dollars for a screen writer etc... Now with all these low IQ budget reality shows and music that goes with it the profit margin is significantly larger than what it was back in the day. They have more to lose now than they did back in the 70's.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Copyright infringement is not stealing, it's infringement as simple as that. It's not a crime as long as you do not have a monetary gain

You may want to actually read the FBI warning at the start of a video - it states it's a crime whether there is monetary gain or not.

This is ridiculous, it's not stealing. First, there's no monetary gain.

So, if I go to your place, take your computer but don't sell it and I only use it for my personal enjoyment, I haven't stolen? Cool. What's your address?

Second, if you watch the movie or play the game and like it, your friend comes over and does the same and the enjoy the experience, they're more than likely going to go out and buy a copy for themselves.

Really. They won't ask you where you got it and want top download it for free too? You have very noble friends.

The market needs to adapt to the consumer, or the consumer will stop playing the game.

Now that makes sense. Stop playing the game. Don't pirate it - don't buy it. Stop. That will indeed force an adjustment to the market in our favor. When it's pirated/stolen/whatever, the makers think that it must be liked, so they continue with their old model. If it doesn't sell at all and nobody downloads it in any way they realize something was very wrong.

The industry needs to change. Will what they call stealing make them change? No. They still see that as support - the old "no such thing as bad publicity". If they get no interest, no support, they will need to change.

My two cents worth - feel free to download it at no charge.

crus_russ

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]You may want to actually read the FBI warning at the start of a video - it states it's a crime whether there is monetary gain or not.So, if I go to your place, take your computer but don't sell it and I only use it for my personal enjoyment, I haven't stolen? Cool. What's your address?Really. They won't ask you where you got it and want top download it for free too? You have very noble friends.Now that makes sense. Stop playing the game. Don't pirate it - don't buy it. Stop. That will indeed force an adjustment to the market in our favor. When it's pirated/stolen/whatever, the makers think that it must be liked, so they continue with their old model. If it doesn't sell at all and nobody downloads it in any way they realize something was very wrong.The industry needs to change. Will what they call stealing make them change? No. They still see that as support - the old "no such thing as bad publicity". If they get no interest, no support, they will need to change.My two cents worth - feel free to download it at no charge.[/citation]

One of the most intelligent posts on this topic.

It is amazing to me the ways that people will justify illegal downloads. I am no angel and have downloaded stuff too, as well as bought my fair share.

I just find it funny when people use illogical arguments to justify theft and then someone uses their own logic against them.

good work g-thor!

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Going to someones home and taking their physical property is completely different than recording something and sharing it with people. I'm sure someone like g-thor has NEVER EVER saved a copyrighted image off of the internet, or taped a song off some radio station that played a song they liked.

By your logic the entertainment industry would be out of business within a decade. I never once said i pirate software or music, but i've heard/read plenty of peoples cases that themselves and people they know actually PURCHASE the product if after using it, they find that they LIKE it. Seems like a pretty darn good way of weeding out which product is worth your time and money and what isn't.

Sure, everyone could stop buying bad products, but im sure you know as well as anyone, plenty of businesses stop listening to their consumers once they reach a certain level of notoriety. Infinity Ward anyone? Bethesda? Fox anyone? How about AT&T, and they're not even really in the entertainment business.

If you feel the need to keep paying for crappy/nonexistent service and shoddy product quality, be my guest. It's your money.

crus_russ

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
tharkis842: I agree in the sense that I have downloaded stuff to try it out and ended up buying it. But this is still theft (e.g. if you stole a bike from a store, liked it, then decided to go give them money for it since you liked it so much).

The point of my post is that a lot of people on this forum try to dress piracy up with excuses (its crap quality anyway, if i like it ill still buy it, because I pirated it and showed my friends they ended up buying it) - but the bottom line is... its still THEFT in accordance with the LAW. So just accept it.

If I download something illegally ("IF"), its because I couldnt be arsed paying for it and something for free is better than not right? How come I have never heard anyone on here admit that? I have heard every reason OTHER than that. Dont you find that funny?

In my view there are only 2 legitimate reasons for piracy (by legitimate I mean valid arguments):

1.) You dont want to pay for it, so you can get it for free.
2.) It is more convenient to download it then to drive to a shop and buy it.

Number 1 can be "alleviated" through timely demos (not released x days after the game is released) so people can get a sense for the quality before they buy.

Number 2 can be outright solved by providing a fast, affordable download/online rent service. For games this sometimes doesnt work because not all games are on steam, or the steam release is after the retail release (deliberately so they can charge more instore on the release day!).

Any other excuses for piracy are plain silly and you are only convincing yourself that you have a valid argument. If you want shit for free and you dont want to buy it, just admit it.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Again, crus_russ, i've never once stated that i've "pirated" anything. Secondly, using an argument such as "I've done this so i'm more knowledgeable than you." or "I have experience here so my point is valid." invalidates your argument and makes you sound idiotic in the process. It only shows that you have nothing to say and are trying to piggy back on someone elses argument, and trying to sound intelligent.

Your argument alone is assenine, "I stole because i wanted to."? "It's more convenient than driving to the store."? The only VALID reason to steal is out of necessity. I.E. because you needed something to survive. The supposed piracy hasn't even been proven to BE piracy. Sharing software or music digitaly is only comparable to recording it and sharing it off of the radio, or recording a show on your tivo/media box. You ever used Youtube? The vast majority of content on Youtube is by your "argument" pirated.

If you're going to try and make me admit to stealing something, youre going to have to try and think harder than that. Good luck ;).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]Option A) They hope they're not caught.Option B) They aren't aware of the consequences.Option C) They can't be intimidated by B.S. tactics.I'm going for option C.[/citation]
D) they live in Canada where we can download.(for now untill Bill C-32 passes)

I stole the Hurt Locker, it sux..

coolgod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Personally i think pirating is a joke.
What is data? it is basically just an arrangement of electrons.
What is pirating? It is just copying the arrangement of electrons.
Suppose you decide to arrange the flower pots in front of your house in a very complex but glamorous is it a crime if i copied it?
Some of you might say well technically "you"'re not arranging it, well thats why we have a computer, it is like a robot that will arrange the flower pots for me.
We already paid for our robot.
We even paid for our visit to see your garden.(Internet fee)
Why should we pay to copy how you position your flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.