What lead will connect my acer laptop to an external screen?

G

Hi,
I have an Acer laptop who's screen died a little while ago, I want to be able to access it using my netbook (HP if it matters), I'm sure there's a lead I can buy to do this but what is it called and where could I buy one? I'm not even sure if the Acer will turn on again as it's been unused for so long, but it's worth a try.
Sammy

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
You want to connect one laptop to the screen of another? The HP laptop will need to have a video in port, but as it is a netbook, it is very likely it won't. They aren't common even on full size laptops. What you can do is connect the laptop to a TV or a monitor. You will need a DVI or a VGA cable, it depends what type of port is on the laptop. If you still want to access it from the netbook, you can set up Remote Desktop while connected in the TV/monitor, and then use it headless later. However, this will only be suitable for activities involving static pictures, so no videos or games.

ebola28

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
your netbook will only have video out, so you cannot display your acer video on it. You can however connect your acer to a monitor via the VGA cable teh_gerbil linked for you.

If you don't have a monitor, you can connect the acer to a tv, well, most modern tvs.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ah, didn't read it properly. No, without going into the nitty gritty of it, you cannot use a laptop as a monitor for another laptop.