What Makes Photoshop So Expensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

JohnnyLucky,

It is like the WordPerfect versus WORD wars of only 10 years ago. The ageing population of WP users utterly hated the transition to Word. Now, virtually all are competent. Tools are tools, and very few of the "special features" are really useful in day to day processing. Yet that said, some are critical, especially Photoshop's built-in memory manager, that rather smartly deals with aggregate image area well in excess of physical memory.

For instance ... my brother does digitized large-format work. Average "high-quality" images might be 480 dpi, 30" by 40" ... which if you do the math is (480 x 480 x 4 (bytes/32-bit) x 30 x 40) = 1 gigabyte ... without any layers.

Adding the profusion of layers to the image in PS ... can cause it to easily be a 5 to 10 GB file.

Now ... imagine having it open in the middle of "editing", and simultaneously needed a few dozen other images open (to cut, paste layers, do adjusts). 12-15 GB, easily.

CS skims past this potential roadblock without significant productivity impact. Not so for any operating-system based virtual memory consuming application. GRANTED, soon (say in 5 years) the bog-standard machine will have 16+ GB of memory ... and that brother's work is pretty unusual stuff ... but I'm thinking that CS's 25 year old memory managment philosophy is more sound than the competition who have nothing "special".

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@GoatGuy: I see one has read my 'memory manager' comment.

I'd like to point out that the Gimp also does tiled memory management. It's not QUITE as advanced as Photoshop's, which has to contend with Windows' brain-dead paging strategies, but then the Gimp also works on Linux - which is no slouch at managing paging and RAM.

This does make the Gimp on Windows less usable than Photoshop, but while Photoshop on Linux is a no-go, Gimp takes to Linux like a fish to lemon sauce - that is, a bit reluctantly, but still very well.

G

Photoshop might be OK for true pros. Pretenders and wannabes can use Corel Paintshop Pro like me with excellent results and generally can afford to have legal copies!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I think it's not about features, it's about hype and an interface everyone got used to.

Oh, and there is Corel's Photopaint, anyone cares to compare it to Photoshop?

G

I'll tell you why it costs so much; it costs so much because people will pay for it, (and write it off as a business expense.) That's the bottom line. If you make something cost a lot of money then people, with a lot of money who also don't know what to DO with their money, will spend their money and believe they have the best product.

G

Pah. I only need the animation tools. Not worth the price tag just for that. (I imagine micro-transactions to get such things into Elements and the like would work quite well, but I haven't really thought that through.)

Status
Not open for further replies.