What should I do when my laptop keep restart and the screen says "attempting to recover installation"?

Feb 23, 2018
Help! I was watching a movie on this laptop until there is a notice pop up saying they're going to make an update. I choose "wait" and then few minutes later I was distracted by a drama on television. So I left my laptop for a while and pause the movie I watched. then when I came back it was already updating it self. It happens before so I thought "oh it's okay it have done before just let it be" . then the windows turn black and restarting. I think it's normal but I was wrong. it keep restarting like mad. this note also appear on my black screen while it was restarting "attempting to recover installation" and "restoring your previous version of windows..." . this happen so fast. it's like a loop. I want to fix this without losing any document or my movies in the laptop. please help me. What should I do?

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
During boot, can you press a key (usually f2 or f8 or one of the other function keys) to get into boot menu where you can choose safe mode? Or is it the same issue with that? If you can't get to safe mode, do you have your windows installation usb/dvd? If yes, use it to boot into it, then go to repair and run it from the disc itself.
If you don't have it, you gotta create it on another computer. Like so:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable
then use microsoft's tool to download iso file appropriate for your system and install it on the usb:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once done, boot from usb and repair as I mentioned previously.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
During boot, can you press a key (usually f2 or f8 or one of the other function keys) to get into boot menu where you can choose safe mode? Or is it the same issue with that? If you can't get to safe mode, do you have your windows installation usb/dvd? If yes, use it to boot into it, then go to repair and run it from the disc itself.
If you don't have it, you gotta create it on another computer. Like so:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable
then use microsoft's tool to download iso file appropriate for your system and install it on the usb:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once done, boot from usb and repair as I mentioned previously.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dice Rollen Laptop Tech Support 6
S Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 1