What sound system do I get?

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Sorry for the generic question and please feel free to make me aware of further reading on the subject.

My situation is as follows. I know very little about sound, hifi and stereos and everything so please bare with my lack of knowledge as I am here to learn.
I have a rather small room in my apartment, but I want to be able to immerse into the world of movies with sound that is comparatively amazing to the built in speakers of a 2017 television I.e from Samsung. My vision is to have a system that makes 55" uhd quality picture sound as badass as it looks but also allow for easy convenience listening to music from spotify, ideally stream from my phone, ideally as easy and convenient as sonos.

I do own a Chromecast, though chrome audio might be nice. I am thinking of the Logitech Z623, as the price is nice and the reviews seem fair. Do I then need an AV receiver to connect to my TV? Could the streaming of music be as convenient as I would like? Will this at all work?

My ideal wish is to be able to stream music with ease (wireless), have nice sounding 2.1 speakers that does my TV justice.
Does anyone know anything that might be of use for me?
Thank you.

Solution
Hi again, up to 200 bucks and since you're in for a 2.1 system, I'd recommend the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX instead of the Logitechs. Sure the Logitechs will be pretty good, but the Klipsch will take your sound to another level. Trust me on this, you can always return them if you don't like them I believe. https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1518044453&sr=8-27&keywords=2.1+sound They go for around 150 bucks on Amazon with Prime :)

Check the Inputs though, I'm sure they have a stereo cable you cannect them to the TV with.

Another option would be the Bleutooth enabled Harman Cardon Soundsticks...
Feb 7, 2018

Hi, what's your budget.?

boju

Distinguished
Whats your TV DireMe?

Before getting speakers for your TV, need to determine what kind of audio outputs it has. It is very rare a TV will have rca out (red & white) and are usually only inputs. So be careful here otherwise z623 wont work.

Z623 has Aux and RCA inputs, make sure your TV has at least a headphone out jack to convert 3.5mm to Y split rca cable.

If your TV has optical out, the z906 has those as audio inputs https://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z906

Feb 7, 2018
Hi again, up to 200 bucks and since you're in for a 2.1 system, I'd recommend the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX instead of the Logitechs. Sure the Logitechs will be pretty good, but the Klipsch will take your sound to another level. Trust me on this, you can always return them if you don't like them I believe. https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1518044453&sr=8-27&keywords=2.1+sound They go for around 150 bucks on Amazon with Prime :)

Check the Inputs though, I'm sure they have a stereo cable you cannect them to the TV with.

Another option would be the Bleutooth enabled Harman Cardon Soundsticks https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-SoundSticks-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B008YFD5G4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518044783&sr=1-2&keywords=Soundsticks
which won't blow you away that much since they don't have the power to fill a large living room with sound like the Klipsch can, but they would be more than adequate for a room, plus they offer Bleutooth connectivity as well as wired one (I assume).

Solution

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hey! I have not bought a TV yet, throw me recommendations. Budget for tv is roughly 600 bucks. I want UHD, 55" and good UI. I'm inclined toward LG and Samsung, and have heard negatives about Philips. But please, if you would like to configure speakers and TV for me I would be more than happy!
Thanks

Feb 7, 2018

I can't pick a TV for you but I can certainly help you on the Speakers front, which I already have made a couple of suggestions :)

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have spoken to a guy that offers a set of Audio pro black pearl v2 with receiver at a price of 150 bucks. Apparently a great receiver but with defective optical connector. Deal or no deal?

Feb 7, 2018

Up to you mate. Optical connection would be good for the Telly. However it's not necessary as long as it has RCA inputs.

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
The receiver is a NAD T743. There are converters to use for coax to optical/RCA. Though not knowing what inputs my TV will have is an issue. What cable gets me the best sound? Would it be better to look for a HDMI receiver? What is the most common cables for connecting to a modern TV? Are the speakers any good?
Thanks askazis

Feb 7, 2018

The speakers look decent, the receiver should be fine too. The TV will at least have HDMI and potentially also Optical which won't have any difference in sound quality compared to the HDMI.

If you want the simplest setup and no hassle go for the Klipsch or any other off the shelf all in one solution. If you're willing to risk more trouble ending up more costly and time consuming in the long run, go for this guy's setup.

Feb 7, 2018

That's a shame. IF you could post some websites you would buy from I could have a look. Also, you're primarily interested in movies rather than music, right? In that case you NEED a subwoofer and any small bookshelf 2.0 solution wouldn't be ideal, although I personally I prefer my speakers to produce more musical tunes.

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Lets put it this way. I want to be able to turn my TV on and use it as a speaker for music whilst cooking or cleaning or having friends over. I also want to make movies sound like they are meant to better than the TV speakers could do. The Black pearl ones have had good reviews and is stated not to need a sub, though I am worrying I'm about the inputs and outputs of the tv. I don't have great demands, but I do like the looks of the black pearls.

A tv that I would like having is Samsung UE55MU6175 or something similar, but that does not allow for the nad receiver, right?

I am very confused, but the help is much appreciated!

Feb 7, 2018

The TV you're mentioning the Samsung one doesn't seem to have an analog jack to connect to speakers or headphones.

3 x HDMI
2 x USB 2.0
Combination / Component Video Input
Digital Audio Output (Optical)
LAN

So for that you may need a receiver that accepts OPTICAL INPUT to connect it to this TV. Like another person has already mentioned in this thread before me, you may want to consider in this case the 5.1 Logitech speakers which DO have an optical input as well as an abundance of other standard ones. z906

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I found another receiver, Yamaha rx-v450 or rx-v465. Would they do fine? I do like the Black Pearl, and z906 are too expensive unfortunately and 5.1 does not fit in my room.. Thinking of the rx-v450 as it has optical in and isnt too expensive

DireMe

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Bought the Yamaha rx-v465 and a pair of Klipsch R15m on sale. I am thinking of future upgradability, but for know i think i am satisfied. Lets see how it sounds in a few days!

boju

Distinguished
Nice. An avr allows for many possibilities and hdmi expansions. 4 hdmi in's and an hdmi out for the tv if you want to connect pcs/consoles/bluray players.

Optical out from the tv to avr for your chromecast

When you eventually get a subwoofer for the .1 you'll be using the pre-out on the amp so look for powered subs with it's own amplifier. Subs are mono so all you need to connect for sound from the avr is an single rca cable. Or one of the wires from a pair of rca left/right cable will be fine also if you cant get one in single form.