What the PS4 Can and Can't Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I won one from Taco Bell, should arrive right around launch day... but I want to know about backward compatibility... can Little Big Planet for PS3 run on it??? I've asked the question on their Facebook page both for PS4 and Little Big Planet...no answer.

theclash150

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
@Dax

There is no backwards compatibility. The PS4 employs Intel's x86 architecture as opposed to Sony's in house Cell architecture used in the PS3. The only way this could possibly be accomplished is if a future update brings software emulation to the PS4 which seems unlikely at this point in time.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hopefully, LBP will patch for PS4, or there will be a new version.. my daughter played it at a friend's house and loved it.. we don't have a PS3.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
why would someone still be playing a ps3 or xbox 360 let alone a ps4 or xbox one on a SDTV still? hdtv's that comes with at least 2 hdmi ports are soo cheap now there really isn't any reason to be playing current and next gen consoles on an SDTV. I tried giving away my old 32 inch SDTV last year, I put it on craigs list I put it in front of my hard with a big sticker saying it works don't need it anymore and no one wanted it. lol So I ended up giving it to goodwill.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
A lot of televisions have a "game mode" to help with input lag. I believe these are usually tied to a single, specific input, and dvi at that. Anyone in that situation would want to purchase their own hdmi -> dvi cable.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
If you've got $400 to drop on a gaming console, you better not be playing on a SDTV. That's just rediculous, upgrade your tv first, they are like $200 now for a decent 26".

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
"Certain games, like "Killzone: Shadow Fall," will let you start playing before the installation is complete."
What?? Who cares!! Save 5 minutes baby!!!

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I liked streaming to my xbox 360, but only when i wanted to watch stuff on that particular television. I also liked copying media to a thumb drive and walking it over there. It still left a lot to be desired though with its limited support of media types.

I wouldn't want to go without some of these "cannot do's". Seems ridiculous to me. My Android phone can access my NAS and play all kinds of media files through a free app while I sit on the crapper. A $400 video game console should have comparable features lol, especially in almost 2014.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I really didn't expect the ps4 or xbox one to handle native 4k resolution. I mean that's just asking way too much for a 400 dollar console, heck on the pc side you need at least 2 Geforce Titans to play at 4k decently and 3 GeForce titans for highend settings. As for no streaming music I could really care less I don't listen to music on my console anyhow. Well at least some gaming titles will be free to play online. As for paying for a playstation plus subscription to play all the multiplayer online games, I don't mind it if it's going to be on par with xbox live service. And you do get 2 free game downloads a month, plus it's still 10 dollars cheaper then xbox live per year. I do love the fact that you don't have to wait for an entire game or demo to download before you start playing it. So the bads are not really a big deal.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Lets correct this, Cell is not Sony's in hour arch. It is based on IBMs PowerPC arch just like the 360s CPU.

And you are correct. No backwards compatibility and there is not enough power in the PS4 to emulate the Cell and RSX hardware.

So if you have a PS3 and want to play the PS3 titles don't get rid of it.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Why did they remove mp3 support? I don't use it much but sometimes it's fun plus couldn't you get some off the online store? So no thumb drives either? Why not include the features of the old gen? Sony is being weird.

Balderick1974

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I'm getting mine to play games, as I'm fortunate to have an HTPC in each room, and now with Raspberry Pie's being affordable, people can use this to stream, etc. As just stick XBMC on and sorted. PS5 will prob play 4k or higher games, and by then the TV's will be affordable for everyone instead of high prices 4K TV's offer. The human eye can't really tell much difference unless you sit really close to you tv and notice more pixels from the sofa most people won't notice much difference from 1080P.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hopefully, LBP will patch for PS4, or there will be a new version.. my daughter played it at a friend's house and loved it.. we don't have a PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.