What to look for in a good quality 4k TV

arbiterrecon

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
So I'm in the market for a 4k tv and I was wondering if someone could give me pointers on what to look for, to [strike]designuise[/strike] distinguish from bad ones. Or a website that gives me the specs.

I know HDR is a must and brands matter.

I had a $250 4k tv and I got what I payed for ha, no hdr and looks upscalled with blurryness.

So I'm just wondering what to look for when I'm looking into specs
Like does size ratio matter or anything else,
Thanks

Using it mostly for gaming

Solution
I only have time for some QUICK things to look for.

1) Screen size
- you should be a little closer than 1.5x the diagonal, so your EYES to screen if nine feet means you should get a screen larger than six feet (72")

The problem is that if you sit too close, lower quality video looks worse, but if you sit too far then 4K adds little to no benefit. At roughly 1.5x the distance you can't tell between a 1080p and 4K HDTV (based solely on the pixel count).

2) HDR
3) Input latency matters if GAMING (ideally want under 30ms of input latency)
- some HDTV's may have a GAME MODE option for the HDMI input you choose, but it still must be enabled (and it could still be high latency)

4) Number of HDMI inputs
5) COST vs Value
6) Customer Feedback...
I only have time for some QUICK things to look for.

1) Screen size
- you should be a little closer than 1.5x the diagonal, so your EYES to screen if nine feet means you should get a screen larger than six feet (72")

The problem is that if you sit too close, lower quality video looks worse, but if you sit too far then 4K adds little to no benefit. At roughly 1.5x the distance you can't tell between a 1080p and 4K HDTV (based solely on the pixel count).

2) HDR
3) Input latency matters if GAMING (ideally want under 30ms of input latency)
- some HDTV's may have a GAME MODE option for the HDMI input you choose, but it still must be enabled (and it could still be high latency)

4) Number of HDMI inputs
5) COST vs Value
6) Customer Feedback (FYI, Amazon mixes up reviews on all sorts of products so it's not reliable. Often HDTV comments for example are for a different model)
- so try other stores
7) Professional reviews (a good start... Google and read at least two for the same model)

8) Speaker quality (most suck... I'd recommend a SOUNDBAR that uses ARC which stands for Audio Return Channel so it simply replaces the crappy HDTV speakers and automatically works with the volume control)

9) OLED is more expensive than LCD but gives deeper blacks which is required to make HDR look its best. You can get an HDR rating with LCD but it's not the same quality that you get with OLED (LCD always has light bleeding through the pixels even when picture is supposed to be black, but OLED light is generated by each pixel itself... so you can get NO LIGHT generated thus only light reflected off the walls affects the black level)

Solution