What to look for when looking at "scrap laptops".

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
My local PC store has a large number of what they call "scrap" laptops. After chatting up the sales clerk I found out that almost all of these are still functioning, and some are still ok even cosmetically (they take out the HDD, and RAM so they can sell them separately, but they are otherwise intact). I am a college student with a minimal budget, so I see a chance to get something decent here, or at least better than what I have. My question is if there is anything to watch for? There are i3, and i5 laptops there,since they run about $35, are these worth fixing up if I can find one that just needs the ram and HDD? I've built PCs before, and I've done numerous laptop repairs/upgrades, so I am capable of fixing one of these myself, I'd just like input on if the cost is worth the risk, because to me it seems that it is. Total (with the student discount) I can get one for around $105, assuming that I buy a decent HDD, and I find a model than can have 8gb of RAM, and the one I buy works. Thoughts? Am I thinking about this the right way?

Solution
It is difficult to say without knowing what's in the stacks. Go ahead and take a look and make note of the laptop models and then do some research about them. Feel free to ask for any advice, though my experience extends mostly to Dell and HP business laptops.

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
I suppose you're right on the SSD, my current system has one and the boot times are awesome. It's just challenging to find an SSD that is decent, in size and speed, for $50, unless you catch a good sale. Do you happen to have any recommendations?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Any recourse if you get it home and put the RAM, Hard Drive, etc. in and they don't work?
If they allow returns then I would say try one and you may end up with a good bargain.
I would also take down some of the model numbers and look at what a working one with the drive and RAM in it go for on eBay and then compare that to the cost of buying the laptop and then the parts to get it running.

I doubt a computer store would strip an i3 or i5 laptop for RAM and drive to sell them for $35 if they motherboard or screen was good. You can buy used drives and RAM for about $15-30 for 320-500 gb drive and 4 gb sticks of RAM, they would not strip a $150-250 used laptop for $60 worth of used parts.

There are very likely overheating issues that can't be fixed easily, crashing issues, power issues, screens are bad or scratched or cracked, etc...

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Oddly enough they do as exactly what I said. The company is both a non profit and a great pusher of recycling computer components, and extending the life of used parts, so I suppose that could be why. Provided, most of the computers they have in that section are not good for much other than parts (missing keyboards, damage to case, bad screen, etc), they do have units that are not that way. From what I was told the units that they get are largely donated in bulk by upgrading businesses, so I'm sure that helps as well. Also they have limited returns, but the salesman said that, unless written on the unit, it should be salvageable.

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Charger is separate, but I have a few of those already, and the battery may or may not be in the unit. And I can look as much as I want, its just a few shelves of laptops, some are missing everything they can be (and are effectively stripped), whereas some are entirely intact except for the HDD and RAM. The guy at the desk is also more than happy to look up anything I have questions on. Part of the reason for the cheapness is likely my area, tech stores die here insanely quickly (we had one store for about 5-6 months before it closed), because there isn't much for brick and mortar stores.

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Yeah, I suppose I should have mentioned that the company gets these as donations, and that they're a non profit, makes more sense. I also want to clarify that they do sort through these, the guy explained they save all the i7's and some of the later AMD A- series, since they can fix those and make more that way. They leave some i5's and i3's in there since they get so many, and it's quicker to sell them that way. Also they do charge more for RAM and HDD's than online, but I'd buy from them to help a local store (it's nice when you can drive down the street for SATA cables).

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Cool. Sounds like a great weekend getaway. I love that feel of dumpster diving into a bunch of older laptops and trying to put bits together to make it work. It is probably a little unhealthy considering how little I actually can get working, but it sure is fun.

If you can, try to get something with a processor in the i-2XXX mobile series at least. I'm working on a HP 8440p (i7-M620 ) for a friend, and it is rough going.

Best of luck on the dig :).

terrarizing

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks MusenMouse, I'll keep that in mind. I will admit to being an Intel newb, I love computers but I'm always so budget orientated that I always get AMD CPU's. I suppose my only question is if I should give it a go or not, based on what I've said?

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
It is difficult to say without knowing what's in the stacks. Go ahead and take a look and make note of the laptop models and then do some research about them. Feel free to ask for any advice, though my experience extends mostly to Dell and HP business laptops.

Solution