What video format do you usually download to watch videos?

Den Watsons

Estimable
May 26, 2015
I am interested what a video format is popular now for downloading and streaming on TV.
I usually download avi. files as mkv don't have audio very often as Dolby Digital Plus restricts 3d party apps.
Thank you in advance.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
that really depends on the device, things like Smart TVs usually have really restrictive formats and codecs available to them. For all devices in general .mp4 is the winner as all the video stores use that format for their videos so its rare to find a device that can't handle it.

.mkv is very popular, especially with anime, as its easy to work with as its pretty open to users. Note, it is not 'open source' its just open to encourage people to use it so it can gain enough steam to demand royalty payments like .mp4 gets.

.mkv doesn't restrict Dolby digital playback. That's coming from you device not understanding how to unpackage the sound file from the .mkv

delaro

Distinguished
I get a Mix, AVI, MKV and MP4 it all depends on what it file is offered in. If I have the option of a 5gb 1080p AVI or 2.4gb 1080p MKV I will take what is smaller, I use VLC mainly and never have a issue with Audio not working. Streaming I use Kodi and play with VLC options it's vary rare I get Sync issues or no sound.

Nicole86

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
I think h.265 could be better! it supports the 4K and 8K content, and I've read an article about h.265, it says h.265 will be the codec of the future and will possibly take the place of H.264 one day...

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Not trying to hijack this thread . . but was looking for an answer to this same question . . I'm not a techie . . can you help?

My Aunt doesn't have cable - so she couldn't watch the Dem Debate. I managed to download a video from youtube - I then tried to convert it to a DVD (from mp4 format), but that didn't play on her dvd player.

She has a Samsung TV (model: UN32J5003AFXZA); which has a USB port. The manual suggests that she could play the mp4 (or other format?) from a USB drive.

Can't seem to insert image of supported video format from TV manual - cut/paste just jumbles all the info. . so here's a link to the TV manual: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN32J5003AFXZA

So . . if I send her a USB drive with just the video on it - will she be able to 'plug n play' (sort of). YES - I realize this sounds like a 'silly' question . . but since the DVD didn't work - just want to be sure. Will the mp4 work or is there a better format?

Thanks in advance!!

Kelly

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

What codecs did you use when you converted the video?
Also what software did you use to convert? I highly recommend getting familiar with Virtual Dub. It looks hard at start but once you get which codecs to use and what compression level you can convert the video for pretty much any player

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
[/quotemsg]

What codecs did you use when you converted the video?
Also what software did you use to convert? I highly recommend getting familiar with Virtual Dub. It looks hard at start but once you get which codecs to use and what compression level you can convert the video for pretty much any player
[/quotemsg]

Hi Vesp3r

thanks for your reply. I have no idea what 'codec' I used. I downloaded Any Video Converter from the CNET website. I chose the "DVD video NTSC movie" in the drop down menu and hit "convert" . . . ok . . so I opened the program again and duplicated what I did: when I selected '. . . ntsc . . ' the codec was automatically set to "mpeg2video". I didn't realize I could change it. Am trying to do the same thing now, but creating on my hard drive and not burning to dvd . yet. Since it's working now . . I cant' look to see what codec options I had. What "should" I use?

I don't plan on doing this often. Only 4-5 more times - for as many democratic debates there will be before the election. I am looking for the simplest method possible. I have already spent HOURS on the web and still do not have a workable option.

Why is this so complicated!?
Thanks for your help. . .

Kelly

Den Watsons

Estimable
May 26, 2015

I mean without a conversion, is there a way?

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

When you have downloaded a video file you need to make sure the TV video player support that format, when watching stream you need good connection

Den Watsons

Estimable
May 26, 2015
I have tried BubbleUPnP Lite for Android tablet and ArkMC Lite for my wife's iPad to stream mkv files from our PC Serviio server on Samsung TV (Smart) and it did, without converting.....but haven't tried a lot of files and formats, will try. Just in ArkMC is a limit of files to be played in Lite version. :(