What would make an upgrade to Energy CF-50's

Status
Not open for further replies.

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Right now Newegg is having an amazing sale on Martin Logan Motion 10's at about 70% below retail. However I was quickly under the impression that Energy was the better speaker and if anything it would be a downgrade, reading reviews and posts.

I have it in mind that one of the following speakers would make an upgrade, however if anybody cares to differ your opinions are appreciated.

1. Polk Lsi9

2. Paradigm studio series of Ebay

3. Energy RC-70

thank you.

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I really like the sound of my Energy CF-50's but I just need a little more umph. RC-70's would be the natural upgrade but were always a little out of my price range. Now that Vanns's has regular sales on the RC-70's I absolutely must have a pair. However I have always wanted a pair of Polk Lsi9's. So one day it hit me, buy a pair of each. Energy RC-70's for the mains and Polk Lsi9's as surrounds. That way I can use either for stereo music or all 4 for Dolby Pro Logic II.

So, one day while window shopping I noticed Polk Lsi9's have been discontinued, and were sold out at most online stores. So I snaged a paire before they were gone. The room is small 12' by 10' and the first thing I noticed was how the bookshelves sounded as big as my Energy CF-50 Towers. So now I'm not convince I need towers to make an upgrade to the CF-50's.

Since the majority of bookshelves I've seen only have one speaker I'm uncertain about it's ability to do the trick. At one end I have the towers and bookshelves at the other. Break it down and the first thing to go is the extra speakers I get with a tower, which is primarily for bigger rooms and bass, I understand. So less speakers is not the determining factor, but what is, for me is having a dedicated mid-range speaker. Most of the one speaker bookshelves I've looked at do not specify it as a "mid-range" but rather just as a "woofer" and bass is the focus not mid-range.

So it's a give and take between performance and what would make a reasonable upgrade (which is why I like the Polk's because one speaker is for bass and the other is for midrange). Having a dedicated mid-range is a must for me and as long as the speaker rocks the room I am not as concerned with the type. I see Paradigm has some bookshelves have two speakers, but would they perform as well as the RC-70's. The three things I like about the RC-70's is the bigger bass woofers, the Kevlar cones and the isolated midrange driver. Not to mention Energy's awesome sound stage and music playfulness

So if the idea was bookshelves are just as good as towers, then I should just get a pair of RC-10's, right? Maybe RC-50's but they do not have a specific mid-range either.. Yes this is a trick question: which is better Energy CF-50's built in Canada or RC-70's built in China? I bout the CF-50's in 2008 or 2009. I'm not sure if they were manufactured before Klipsh bought Energy or if they were made in Canada. I am also considering something like Kef IQ90 since it's built in England. Between a bookshelf and a tower is it just going to be the same thing at the same level, surely there is more behind it then just room size.

I would like knowledge and suggestions on these ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
If you love powerful midrange, you will absolutely adore the IQ90 Tower. Kef's Uni-Q drivers present a huge soundstage, and very accurate midrange clarity. This particular speaker is one of the true gems in its pricerange. My biggest advice on Kef speakers, make sure your amplifier has power to spare. They are only 91db sensitive, so it takes quite a bit of of power to get them sounding their best. Most inexpensive AV receivers will run out of juice with these at mid-upper volumes. I would actually recommend picking up a dedicated power amp for them.

I used to have a pair of XQ-5s (before they removed the hypertweeter) connected to my Krell KAV-300IL, and the sound was just jaw dropping.

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Can you give me an idea on what speaker cone material is used on the drivers for a Kef iQ90?

thanks

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

It is a composite of some sort, they don't really list much. The Uni-Q driver is a separate material than the actual driver material. It is a much more lightweight material. In terms of driver material, if you're finding out for research, i understand that. If you're making a decision on cone material, you could be making a mistake. Always listen to the speakers before you buy, or at least listen to something in the same line. I've run into many many speakers i thought i would just LOVE, and ended up not liking them at all. (Klipsch Referene 82). And then there were a few the other way also, like the Infinity Kappa 600. I actually ended up buying a pair of them i liked them so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS