What's the best method of backing up camera memory cards without laptop while travelling?

christiandransfield

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

After kindly helping me to find a camera for an upcoming travelling trip, I'm now looking at the best option for backing up the photos on my memory cards at the end of each day. I don't want the extra weight of a laptop in my backpack, so wondered what methods you use.

So far, I've singled out the Western Digital My Passport Wireless SSHD, which can automatically back up data from SD cards when you put it in its SD card reader. It's pretty expensive though. Does anyopne know of any cheaper alternatives to this one, or any other methods?

Any advice would be much-appreciated!

kanewolf

Judicious

You don't list a budget and your title is "Best" ... The cheap method is just buy more cards and only use them for one day. Then put a never used card in the next.

kanewolf

Judicious

I guess with a 64GB or 128GB SD card in a cell phone you might have capacity to cover his 6 week requirement.

I think your budget is unrealistically low. A bare hard drive or bare SSD uses your budget.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Assuming the device I linked to would allow the transfer of the files over to the smartphone, I would just buy a couple of extra cards for the smartphone, and rotate them out as they get full. It depends on how important the photos are as to how much money I would spend to back them up while traveling.

christiandransfield

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Awesome! I've just bought one mate. I have a search on YouTube, and you can put a SD card in the unit, then connect an external HD to it, and copy the files over via an app on your phone. I'll just use it with the external HD I already have. Perfect! Thanks guys!

christiandransfield

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Yeah, you could do that as well mate. In fact, I was thinking of doing that myself. The SD slot is the inpout, and the USB the output, so I assume one could put any device ion the USB slot with memory. If anyone is interested in getting one, a seller on Amazon is currently doing a '£12 off offer', which you can redeem under the £40 price on the product page, so has only cost me £27.99! Very happy :)

christiandransfield

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I'd actually already bought a (very heavy) device charging brick thing a few days ago, so that feature has already allowed me to take the brick (and the weight) out of my backpack. Bargain for all the features it provides!