Question What's the difference between user 0 and user -1?

Jul 13, 2023
I did a dumpsys log of my android using adb, but I'm really confused and can't find information about this anywhere.
There seem to be two different users although I've never switched accounts.
For example, in the dumpsys I see things like this:
settings/secure/instant_apps_enabled: pid=1318 uid=1000 user=-1
settings/secure/minimal_post_processing_allowed: pid=1318 uid=1000 user=0

I got this phone from a friend that was no longer using it (didn't do a factory reset) and I also let my brother use my phone on occasion.
Does this mean there are two completely separate accounts on my phone? How do I get rid of -1?

Reactions: timjulius1122

timjulius1122

Banned
BANNED
Jun 24, 2023
The presence of different user IDs in the dumpsys log indicates the existence of multiple user profiles on your Android device. User ID "-1" signifies a system or shared account, while user ID "0" corresponds to the primary user. To remove any additional profiles, navigate to the Settings menu, access Users or Accounts, and delete the extra accounts.

Jul 13, 2023
The presence of different user IDs in the dumpsys log indicates the existence of multiple user profiles on your Android device. User ID "-1" signifies a system or shared account, while user ID "0" corresponds to the primary user. To remove any additional profiles, navigate to the Settings menu, access Users or Accounts, and delete the extra accounts.
If it's a system wouldn't I not want to get rid of it? Or is there an entirely different USER account on my phone?
I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm not very technologically inclined.
When I go to my settings and then click on accounts, the only ones I see are the different ones for my g-mail, messenger, etc.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy a12 if that helps at all? Thank you for your help, I'm sorry I'm so bad at this!

timjulius1122

Banned
BANNED
Jun 24, 2023
If it's a system wouldn't I not want to get rid of it? Or is there an entirely different USER account on my phone?
I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm not very technologically inclined.
When I go to my settings and then click on accounts, the only ones I see are the different ones for my g-mail, messenger, etc.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy a12 if that helps at all? Thank you for your help, I'm sorry I'm so bad at this!
"Hello! No need to worry. The system account on your Samsung Galaxy A12 is vital and cannot be deleted. If you have any particular inquiries or require assistance with your device, feel free to ask!"

Jul 13, 2023
"Hello! No need to worry. The system account on your Samsung Galaxy A12 is vital and cannot be deleted. If you have any particular inquiries or require assistance with your device, feel free to ask!"
So then would the -1 account BE the actual system account? And then user 0 is my usual every day interface?