What's the difference between XPS13 9360 and 9365?

Giant Lizard

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I know the 9365 has a touchscreen and can become similar to a tablet, but what else? Is there anything else?

I need a notebook to work and I like the XPS 13 (the one with 500 GB hard drive, 16 GB ram, i7 and Windows 10 Pro) but I don't know which one is better for me.

I don't need the touchscreen to work, of course, so it seems the 9360 is better for me, but is there any other difference I don't know?

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
I don't care for touch screen except on my smartphone. I also do not care for resolutions above 1080p in laptops. Especially for a 13" laptop because you need to use scaling to increase the size of text and menus so that you can actually see and click them.

Plus the higher the resolution of the screen the more power it will consume because they will have more pixels and each pixel requires power. So if battery life is important, then getting a QHD screen will lower the battery life.
The XPS 13 9360 can be configured with the following that are not available for the 2-in-1 XPS 13 9365:

1. QHD resolution touch screen.
2. Rose Gold finish.

Other differences are:

1. The XPS 13 9360 has a 60WHr battery, while the 2-in-1 has a 46WHr battery
2. The XPS 13 9630 has a Killer 1535 802.11ac adapter, while the 2-in-1 uses a standard Intel 8265 802.11ac adapter.

Giant Lizard

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

"these aren't the droids we're looking for".

:p

I don't understand, put it in this way it seems the 9360 is better, but the 9365 is newer, why it has specs so bad?

Also, what do you mean with "QHD resolution touch screen"? The 9360 shouldn't be touch, that's the 9365, no?

Both laptops are new is it is just the 9360 is a standard laptop while the 9365 is a 2-in-1 convertible laptop. The 9365 uses a less powerful i5-7Y54 / i7-7Y75 CPU to conserve power since it has a 46WHr battery.

More expensive models of the Dell XPS 13 9360 has a QHD touch screen. QHD is 3200 x 1800 resolution. No Dell XPS 13 9365 model currently offers a QHD touch screen as an option (at least not in the US).

You have to determine for yourself if you want a traditional laptop with a "standard CPU" or a 2-in-1 laptop with a less powerful CPU.

Giant Lizard

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

I'd go with the standard laptop, but I would like to understand better the "QHD touch screen". I thought that XPS 13 didn't had a touchscreen :/ what do you suggest? To take it with the touchscreen or without it? I honestly don't feel the need, but I never had a touchscreen on a laptop, so I don't know if it's useful. I guess the battery would last less though.

I don't care for touch screen except on my smartphone. I also do not care for resolutions above 1080p in laptops. Especially for a 13" laptop because you need to use scaling to increase the size of text and menus so that you can actually see and click them.

Plus the higher the resolution of the screen the more power it will consume because they will have more pixels and each pixel requires power. So if battery life is important, then getting a QHD screen will lower the battery life.

Solution

Giant Lizard

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

I agree with you. Sadly, I asked Dell and they told me the one with 16GB comes only with the touchscreen, otherwise I have to take the one with 8 GB :/ and for work I need 16 GB so, I'll stay with the touchscreen.

Jjeets

Prominent
May 4, 2017
The biggest difference is the processor used within the two models.
The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 uses a Y processor. The traditional XPS 13 uses the U processor.

The Y processors are designed for low thermal applications, and have lower power usage and heat output, at the expense of performance.

The other difference is that the XPS 2-in-1 is fan less, and hence there will be zero fan noise; not to say that the traditional XPS 13 is loud; but the lack of a fan in the 2-in-1 means you will get very aggressive thermal throttling resulting in noticeable slowdowns in demanding uses (Games or media editing).