WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM?

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
NORTON: is ok...I guess....but some virusses have messed my stuff with that
McAFFEE: this IS a virus....I hate that crap, I lost my pc TWICE due to McAfee (virus definitios were up to date), it detected viruses but they were allowed to dance all over my pc
AVAST!: same as McAffee but just one time,+, a friend had the same problem

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Kaspersky is probably the best when it comes to definitions. Ask any trojan writer, they'll tell you 1-2 days of release Kaspersky is always the first to pick it up.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I use AVAST, its a native 64bit kernal and thats baller for my xp x64!

i used mcaffe internet security suite for a long time and in my opinion avast is way better.

i do agree Norton misses alot, and mcaffee does a great job of finding the viruses but not cleaning them. i found my self manually deleting alot of stuff thx to mcaffee. avast has been great so far. takes care of those pesky active x controls also.

Anoobis

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I use Trend's PCCillin. When setup properly (which isn't hard), you never know it's there. Unlike Norton. My second choice would be Nod 32.

DBNimble

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
None of these.... read on.....

NORTON is bloated and takes alot of system resources, however SYMANTEC antivirus (without the norton) has been amazing on my system. It has caught all kinds of hijackers, worms, even some adware and spyware.

If you can get the corporate edition I highly recommend it 8)

snyper133

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
None of these.... read on.....

NORTON is bloated and takes alot of system resources, however SYMANTEC antivirus (without the norton) has been amazing on my system. It has caught all kinds of hijackers, worms, even some adware and spyware.

If you can get the corporate edition I highly recommend it 8)

DITTO I have the x64 edition for true 64 bit anitvirus glory.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
There's a few there I haven't even heard of.

tbh, I've only tried Norton and McAfee (currently using McAfee), and have so far never had a virus (of course, that may be due to the ineffectiveness of the software). Just a couple of false alarms with Norton (and problems connecting to online games - again with Norton).

I will follow this thread with interest, as I would be interested in switching

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I did a lot of research on this topic some time ago because most AVS programs take up a lot of system resources and slow your system down big time.

I ended up selecting NOD32 becasuse it kept your system running fast, it was hardly noticable. There were actual benchies for each program but I've long since lost that research.

But I'm pretty happy with NOD32 and have tried a few others. The latest version of NOD32 actually has a nice interface and looks very professional. It's very customizable for advanced users as well. You can really throttle the program to scan, update and filter just to your needs to further increase overall system performance.

But god help us all stay away from anything NORTON. What a POS company and software. Blech, it's like installing viruses on your own computer! But then soem people like self-torture.

MacD91

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
well i use Sophos Anti-virus and never had any problems , i even tried to get a virus by going throw lots of dodgy sites, it picked them up and spat them out..!! great for surfing. 8O

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I have a hard time trusting a resource like that though. They very well could be tipping the scales in favor of a certain product. That's not rock-science marketing to do that.

The comparrison also doesn't take into account overall system performance which for hard core gamers and computer nuts like us is pretty important. I'd like to see Toms or another reputable review site do a comparrison from a performance/feature perspective.

I debate even having virus software at times. I know what not to click on and how a person gets viruses. But I guess some viruses are getting tricker so it's better to be safe than sorry.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't either because I don't download random crap from weinerpeniswarez.com or use Internet Explorer so it isn't really a problem. Again you guys, email a real trojan writer and ask him what works best at killing his work :p

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Norton is absolute crap and bloatware, and never finds anything -- not because it does a good job of keeping garbage out, no way, it is simply useless! :x

like someone else said, McAffee finds more than Norton (but then, so could anything else :roll:), but is useless for deleting anything.

AVG is what I use, it's definitely better than that Norton and McAffee crap.

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Thats a start, but facts are preferred. depends on the clients habits as to what they need if any at all, so I vote for whats needed, anything from free AVG to Panda Titanium. Oh, and servers are another story!

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i have to agree with the norton haters here!

i read somewhere "dont quote me" that norton sucks up a ridiculous amount of system ram. i wish i could remember the exact number but it was enough for both eyes. 8O

also when i first began working for teh company i do know the main computer we use here had a FULL uinstall of norton antivirus with everything from all the lil utilities to "norton system go back".

total boot time was around 20 mins. there was a time they had no tech here and would power it on and walk away until it was on.

since i threw that norton crap out the window (except "go back" due to OS complications and back ups) the computer runs fine with no lattencies or crazy boot times.

what a hog!